lost power

-

moparfrenzy

Reaction score
Have a '66 with a 273 - 4 bl in it. Lost all power yesterday - 50 mph to 0 in seconds. Would not restart - finally started after a hour but went a mile and died again. It started with the peddlle to the floor and the key all the way to the right but when I let up on the key it stalled again - any ideas?

Did not have chance to look at it last night - but that was on the list to check. It has been a bad week for the car - new fuel pump and ignition coil. A friend thought it might be the distributor/points. I am new at this - learning as things happen.

Yep, Sounds like the ballast is heating up and causing a open circuit. Especially since it will stay running with the key in the start circuit. Have you tried jumping out the ballast for a short time to see if it will stay running?

No I did not try that - I am a rookie at this - sorry have not got a clue what you are talking about - I am a work in progress when it comes to the barracuda

Take a piece of wire(with 1/4-1/2 in. of insulation removed from each end). Remove the connectors at the ballast,insert one side of wire into one connector and the other side into the other connector. Try and start your car.

The ballast resistor is usually a white ceramic piece about 3 inches long. It is mounted on the firewall on the left or right side. There is a wire connector on each end. If you remove the connectors and use a short length of wire in place of the resistor to test ONLY. You can start the car and see if it runs when you let go of the key. If it does run without holding the key you should shut it off right away. You will then know if the resistor is bad. This resistor is out of the ignition circuit when you crank the engine over and in the circuit when you let go of the key.

Thanks guys - you have all been a great help - it has been a very educational first day now I just need to get the picture of my car on. Hope I can return the favour someday.

If it still has points (might have been upgraded to electronic) I would check the condition and gap too. These are wear items.

Thanks checked plugs - wear and gaps good - that actually was the first thing I did - guess work on my part

-
Back