Lost reverse on 65 dart gt

-

mtpierson

65 Dart GT Convertible
Reaction score
My 65 Dart GT with /Six has lost reverse in addition to no longer starting unless I jump the Neutral Safety switch with a ground wire.

Drove great to/from work. Parked it in my garage. 5 days later no start and after the neutral switch jump cure no reverse - still has forward gears.

Assume this is a 904 transmission.

Kickdown is not currently hooked up after switch to 4 Barrel. Figured I could just shift manually. Hope this is not the cause.

Linkage seems to move as expected. Plastic coating on transmission has melted some due to proximity to exhaust pipe - internal wire seems OK.

Any ideas?

A source for a NOS or replacement transmission cable is desired if anyone has recommendations.

Hate having the Dart off the road in this nice East coast weather.

Thanks

Running it without hooking up the throttle pressure linkage (what you called the kickdown) is extremely detrimental to a torqueflite. Without it hooked up it'll generally cook a transmission pretty fast. What ever you do get it hooked up BEFORE YOU DRIVE IT AGAIN. Since you say you have all forward gears my guess is the issue at hand is in the shift cable or adjustment. Sorry, I don't know where to buy one. Hopefully someone will chime in on where to get one. Running it with the throttle pressure linkage unhooked has probably made for some quick wear on the bands so while your replacing the cable adjust the bands and maybe you'll get lucky and it'll work ok again.

Running it without hooking up the throttle pressure linkage (what you called the kickdown) is extremely detrimental to a torqueflite. Without it hooked up it'll generally cook a transmission pretty fast. What ever you do get it hooked up BEFORE YOU DRIVE IT AGAIN. Since you say you have all forward gears my guess is the issue at hand is in the shift cable or adjustment. Sorry, I don't know where to buy one. Hopefully someone will chime in on where to get one. Running it with the throttle pressure linkage unhooked has probably made for some quick wear on the bands so while your replacing the cable adjust the bands and maybe you'll get lucky and it'll work ok again.

I will get the kickdown hooked up again with a cable versus rod assembly (original). Thanks for the guidance.

If no reverse & (dubble check to see if you have engine breaking in 1st) ive got ten bucks says the low/reverse band has broke seen it alot in 727s & non tripple wrap low/revese band 904's. Erley 904's & 6 cyl cars had a small single wrap low/rev band that liked to break whenever they wanted to just the the 727 did. FYI FIX THE KICKDOWN LINKAGE!!!! thats there life line! no linkage movement no trans pis increase to cope with engine power!

-
Back