Loud chirping noise.

-
Second if its the pump make sure when you buy a new one get a police pump they are heavy duty pumps . The stock water pumps on citizens cars had a 1/2 inch shaft and can brake during high rpms . We're the police pump has a larger 5/8 shaft and can handle more rpms

i would remove the drive belts,sounds like water pump bearing.

This ^^^^^^ Sounds just like a bad water pump bearing. Take the belts off and see what happens.

Highly recommend a stethoscope with a long extension....you deserve a new tool out of this anyway! I bought mine cheap at a local auto parts store and it's been great. You should easily isolate the area in a few seconds...or even cheaper, use the tried and true "ear to a long screwdriver" method if you don't want a stethoscope. Hope it's something easy--good luck!

If it's not in the water pump or alternator I would look at he starter.

As others have stated try running it with the drive belts off.

I have had starter problems before because the top bolt has some slop in the top hole which I assume is for starter clearance adjustment.

I put a bushing around the top bolt on mine that fills up the space around the bolt and centers the starter, have been doing this since the 1970's and never had a starter problem since.
Before I started using the bushing system I had a 1970 coronet R/T 440 six pack that used to bust the front of the starters off

If it's your water pump the better 5/8" shaft one is at Rockauto #AW7103H $59.79...close to $40 cheaper than Summit. They sell Gates too for $31.79. Should have scallops on the neck, not Gatling gun holes. No reason to buy the 1/2" one mechanically...except aesthetically for originality I guess. Cheers.

just had the same sound as you
i thought it was the four flex plate to convertor bolts but they were all tight
i then undone the four bolts and hey the flex plate bolts to the crank were loose
arp bolts and lock tight will be going on this time around

just had the same sound as you
i thought it was the four flex plate to convertor bolts but they were all tight
i then undone the four bolts and hey the flex plate bolts to the crank were loose
arp bolts and lock tight will be going on this time around
Been there...what a pita...repeat..LOCKTITE..

You have the wrong upper pully on the water pump. The one you are using is for a cast iron pump, 69 back. The pully is rubbing on the snout of the aluminum pump.

Just watched the video again. Is it just me, or did it look as though the belt isn't parallel? Plus someone else commented that the WP didn't turn over when attempted to restart. It might be internal, but I would look at WP first. You have an alternator for a/c and you're using the outside groove. What happens when you move it to the inside groove? Does the alignment look better?

Where's that lil popcorn dude?
I'm really interested in this one, too. I like the water pump theories.

Not to mention I lost an hour surfing youtube videos after I watched the OP's link....

Where's that lil popcorn dude?
I'm really interested in this one, too. I like the water pump theories.

Not to mention I lost an hour surfing youtube videos after I watched the OP's link....

I hear ya where is the op :happy1:

:happy1::happy1::

Rev...that cat jumping out is just hilarious...I always watch it a couple times...never gets old

Did you pop the belt off yet.....to me it does indeed sound like the pulley is rubbing on the pump.....had this happen on my last hot rod...

Pulled the belt. Still making noise. I've got to put a new front door in the house today, so I doubt I get to look into it much further today.

Come on guys . Look at the top pulley . . I thought at least some of you would catch what is evident. I never could get a early pulley to spin on a later water pump without making that noise. It won't be long and the paint will be burned off the pulley.

Just a few more things. I did drive it. While I was driving it, there was no sound. It seems to only happen at idle or low rpms. When stopped and accelerating, it makes the sound, once rpms are up,it stops. I'm thinking its got to do with the flexplate as well. Like I said earlier, I've been busy with the house all day so didn't get a chance to get under it.

Okay, then that changes what I thought this was.....just a cam swap and a converter change out. Have you peeked in the bottom of that trans bellhousing area and seen any metal shavings?

Yeah cam swap, installed a used B&M flexplate and used stall converter. I havent been able to get under it and check. Had a busy day around the house today. I'll get it jacked up after work tomorrow and see if I can see any shavings.

-
Back