LOUD Exhaust Tamed.........

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
A while back, I wrote about my Flowmaster duals mounted to my small block Demon...........2.5" pipes, dumping into 3" by 16"long chrome tips that acted like megaphones........I swear this thing sounded like a big Hemi....the tips acted like amplifiers, and with my cam and timing, it was almost always mistaken for a Big-Block............

Although it drew a crowd on the sound, it was WAY too loud for enjoyment or cruising...........just warming it up in the driveway drove you to drink..............

I pondered welding in an X or H, and probably will for my next little project...........BUT, I wanted swift and easy results.......SO, after finding NOTHING suitable on the aftermarket, I took someone's advice (from this site), and ordered up a pair of 12" shorty glasspacks..........

I sawed off the tails about 1/4" back from the welded hangers, and slotted the inlets of the new shorty's to fit over the hangers about another 3/4" or so......... I dimpled the shorty's at the closest point to the spring shackle bolts where they might have rattled, and marked them carefully so they'd go back in exactly as I had them fit.

Next, I sawed off the chrome tips at about 7".........These, I then tack welded to the end of the shorty's (after cleaning and prepping the shorty's for paint), putting my tacks neatly where they'd be the most inconspicuous. ....and being VERY careful to center the shorty perfectly inside the chrome tip before tacking.

Next came a good quality high heat engine primer, with 3 meduim thin coats.........high heat silver on top, 4 coats, including around the end of the chrome tip where I tacked it (when you spray it correctly, it will generally stay put nicely for a long period on chrome, especially where hot).

I then installed the finished custom resonators on the tails, exactly as they had been fit.....being careful again to check my elevation and centering according to the back bumper........I tacked them into place firmly, and gave them a test................

SWEET sound...........still sounds throaty, but mellow at cruising.........you can talk inside the car now without yelling............I can actually hear the stereo again...............Nice!

I really don't think the shorty's will cause any pressure problems for me.....the car seems very snappy, with no loss of power that I can tell...............

Thought this little project would be worth puttin' out there for you guys that would like a bit more peace and quiet without breaking the bank, or screwing up your expensive dual systems.......if I want to go back to the dual tips as it was, or add the correct tips for the car at some point, I need only detach the tacks by the hangers, and reinstall the new tips with a little pipe at the same point of the detach...........very simple, and neat.

Doc

tip.jpg

Looks like a clean install. I agree that sometimes too loud of an exhaust gets hard to take for a daily driver. A nice deep rumble is better. Mike

Here's a look at the inside by the inlets.......you can see where it was easily notched anad tacked in place.........it's solid, with no rattles........nice deep rumble, but easy on the ears, and as I said, easy to change out at a later date.

:glasses8:

I'm not sure what number they are..........just too loud.....they were on the car when purchased, and I can't see any numbers or tags.

FWIW, An H or X pipe will make a big difference too. I went installed an H-pipe on my cuda when it had glass paks and it made a huge difference in the overall volume of the sound and changed the WOT sound completely. Without the H it was a raunchy sound at WOT after adding the H I would get complements on the sound.

BTW, a nice clean install of the shorties! :)

Nice work. Im cursing at my 3" exhaust install right now. Want a job, LOL

The reason I ask is the original 40's are known for there loud cabin noise.

The Delta flows help a bunch,with the same exterior sound,but a lot less
interior noise.

Sounds like you have figured out a alternitive.!!!!!!!

Looks good,nice job.

I know the feeling of not being able to hear anything else. My friend did the same thing on his Snova. I have a set of the dynomax bullet mufflers with side exhaust. My car sounds like a boat in the water at idle and loud as all hell when I'm on it. It might have somthin to do with having 18" of pipe after the collector then the muffler and then a 90* out the side. Basically straight 2.5" pipe. I was thinking about the flowmasters but maybe going to go with magnaflows.

When I had the duals put on my car, the interior resonance was
annoying, to me, and it really bothered my G/F.

{I am using Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers}

I decided to add some sound deadner to the floor under the rear seat,
and the package tray areas;
heck, there wasn't even carpet padding under the back seat.

The car is much quieter inside now. :)

headlinerproject64Valiant026Small.jpg

When I had the duals put on my car, the interior resonance was
annoying, to me, and it really bothered my G/F.

{I am using Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers}

I decided to add some sound deadner to the floor under the rear seat,
and the package tray areas;
heck, there wasn't even carpet padding under the back seat.

The car is much quieter inside now. :)

headlinerproject64Valiant026Small.jpg

Is that the same stuff you can get at Lowes or Home Depot that go around house windows?

Is that the same stuff you can get at Lowes or Home Depot that go around house windows?

Looks like it huh.... ;) Peel and Seal

The stuff from Lowes, is not too good for High temp,
like if you live where it goes above 90f more than a couple times a year.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/adhesion/

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/conclusion/

If you really need to do this in the absolutely least expensive way and are not convinced or concerned by the demonstrated inferiority of asphalt based sound deadeners, go to Lowes and get a roll or two of Peel & Seal. This is the least expensive option and you won't have to worry about shipping costs. I can see no difference in Peel & Seal and the asphalt based aluminum skinned products in this review. If you are going to live dangerously, do it right.

I used the Peel and Seal, but to do it again, I would buy the RAAMaudio BXT stuff.

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr

Thanks for the info. I will be doing some reading now but I have begun the work

Well I went ahead and installed the Lowes window seal stuff. I'm going to put it on the doors, quarter window area behind the panels, kick panels, and over rear axle area. I'm going to install the bubble wrap with the foil on both sides over everywhere I installed the window seal stuff with 3M adhesive. I think then the heat factor will be better.

Sound deadener front.jpg

Sound deadner rear.jpg

Thanks for the info. I will be doing some reading now but I have begun the work

Well I went ahead and installed the Lowes window seal stuff. I'm going to put it on the doors, quarter window area behind the panels, kick panels, and over rear axle area. I'm going to install the bubble wrap with the foil on both sides over everywhere I installed the window seal stuff with 3M adhesive. I think then the heat factor will be better.
I thought about doing that back in the 90's with Dynamat but I didn't want to add weight to the car and even worse, I was afraid it would trap moisture against the floor and rot it out. Also, I just love a loud car as long as it sounds good.

-
Back