Loud noise coming from torque convertor area.

-

shotgunvic64

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a loud ticking noise coming from the flywheel area. I checked to see if the flexplate was cracked and bolts loose but it all looked fine. This noise speeds up every time I gas it. I think maybe it's due to not having a heat shield right there but I don't know. Any ideas what that noise could be? It is bugging the crap out of me. The car is a 68 Dart sedan with a 273 and 904 column shift.
Thank you.

I have had the converter snout break before and make that noise. Half of the drive snout just cracked from notch to notch. It didn't hurt anything else....

I have had the converter snout break before and make that noise. Half of the drive snout just cracked from notch to notch. It didn't hurt anything else....

Had the same thing happen, but when mine cracked it reallllllllly leaked trans fluid

You might also want to check the starter drive and make sure it's not trying to engage the flywheel under acceleration. I have seen that happen on other vehicles if the return spring brakes or is really weak.

Yeah, flexplate would have been my first stop. I could see the starter gear/broken spring doing something like that, but how long could it last like that?

While I'm sure you've already thought of it, you don't happen to have a small exhaust leak right by there do you?

Does it happen while reving in park? Or while driving around? I had a bad tap tap tap start after I replaced my starter. Thought I muffed something up good. Turns out the speedo cable was catching and housing was smacking the frame, speedo looked normal.

Try removing the bell housing inspection cover plate. They are known for being bent, and hitting the flexplate bolts.

also, it is easy to think you have tightened the flex plate bolts but still have some slack - it doesn't take much at all to cause them to hit the back of the engine.. check all 4 CLOSELY. Last time I reinstalled mine I thought they were all pretty darn close so I cinched up on three and then the 4th one wouldn't allow the assembly to come around - hung up on the edge of the engine.. it really doesn't take much at all...

I recommend using a torque wrench to make sure that the torque converter bolts are tight and won't back off...

(No pun intended ---> torque wrench - torque converter...)

I found out after some sleuthing under the car and the flexplate has a crack on it. I'm gonna have to take the motor out and replace it AGAIN Lol.

-
Back