Louisiana here, 69 GTS

-

Twistgrip

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 1969 340 4 speed GTS is in the restoration shop. Although engine and transmission numbers match the car it did not have a build sheet and vin tag is almost rusted away. It last saw road use in 1974 and is a true barn find. Will be a period correct 1977 hot rod, but easily converted back to pure stock. It is F3 green with black bucket seats, manualdisc brakes, manual steering, and AM/FM radio. I will keep thread updated as the build continues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 215
Welcome to FABO-looks like a good time already--will you post a rebuild thread in the resto section?

Twistgrip, looks like you are doing it the right way!!!!! And welcome to the site, a lot of very valuable info. here. I to have been doing up a 69 Dart, stick with it, it is a hell of a lot of work and money. But worth every bit!!!!!!! If I can help in any way or you need some odd little part ask away, as I have a few things left over from my build.

My 1969 340 4 speed GTS is in the restoration shop. Although engine and transmission numbers match the car it did not have a build sheet and vin tag is almost rusted away. It last saw road use in 1974 and is a true barn find. Will be a period correct 1977 hot rod, but easily converted back to pure stock. It is F3 green with black bucket seats, manualdisc brakes, manual steering, and AM/FM radio. I will keep thread updated as the build continues.

Love the style Resto/recreation '77 style. Wish more people did this,instead of "numbers matching/OEM style " thoughts....
"Twistgrip" logo? Old school dirt bike,or street killer?..

Welcome to the Madness !! I'm doin a 68 GTS 383 car

Welcome, I'm building a 69 GTS also.
You're going to love this site.

Twistgrip- grew up on dirt bikes (250 Elsinore), rode Kawasaki GPZ 550 in college, bought 1000R Eddie Lawson replica in early career days. Restored a Honda MR50 for my son several years ago that is still being passed around. Currently ride 97 Vmax, have a late 90s Triumph triple needing restoration, working on 74 Honda mini trail 50 for my grandson. It will be painted F3 like PaPa's car!

Hi Twistgrip- I'm still trying to kick the dirtbike habit after 40 years. Getting the '67 GTS is my attempt to quit. I'm just realizing that I'm replacing one addiction with a
new (old) addiction! Still have my WR450F and KDX200, but have had a few health issues in the last couple of years. Sucks gettin' old.

I hear that, always loved enduros/wood riding but recovering from body stump/tree/ground impacts not an option I want to explore. I still can't enjoy riding bikes that have feet leading or lagging too much. I like the old feet under you like a bar stool position.

Hey Twistgrip, I know it's off topic, but I hear ya. Sold 2 Vintage bikes 10 years ago- a 1980 PE400 and a Husqvarna 500AE (2-stroke automatic). Can Am 250 MX-1, KLR 600, KLX650, Bultaco Sherpa T, and 3 KDX's fed my habit. This old body can't take much more abuse. If I was a car, I'd trade me in. Lyme disease, pulmonary embolisms (both lungs) and A_Fib have slowed me down. Almost went to that Big Car Show in the sky 2 yrs. ago.

Welcome to the forum! Have any pictures of the car when you found it?

I am sorry to say I don't, it was in a storage shed partially dismantled , engine and transmission had been pulled and was on the ground next to the car. Picked up trim parts in chicken building behind the shed. Story was amazingly familiar to these old cars, dad in his 80's cleaning up his property. Son had joined Air Force in mid seventies and left the car in the shed. Made military a career and never moved back and lost interest in it. I worked through the dad to get legal bill of sale and then La. State Police to get it re-titled. Last inspection tag on windshield was from 1974.
This car was in my shop for over 15 years waiting for this restoration. In interim I had 1969 RR convertible and 1974 Duster, that I drove and showed and a 69 RR hardtop that I was restoring slowly. Sold everything except this car during divorce in 2005 as part of settlement. I have since bought a 1973 Challenger and it is waiting for Resto-mod treatment but decided to do the Dart first.

-
Back