Low compression 440 intake??

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
I'm putting a stock 1977 low compression 440 into a 85 D150 as was wanting to upgrade intake manifold.. Possible camshaft upgrade later.. Truck will be street driven and was wanting to know what intake you folks recommend.. Running a stock T-Quad for a carb... Thanks..

If this is a stock to mild build up/upgrade,get a dual plane intake and a 750 carb,and a good distributor and a lean burn electronic plate and a set of distributor springs,and with a good dual exhaust,you will be fine ,mrmopartech 450 424 0445

Nothing wrong with that T-Quad....setup properly they're hard to beat for performance AND mileage. Eddy Performer, or similar dual-plane for intake. When you change cam, don't go silly....you're already down pretty good on comp...a big cam will just add to that loss. Especially if its a truck, you're trying to move upwards of 5-6k lbs + payload, so keep the cam specs (duration) on the low side , to help low-end torque..no 310* jobs.

Thanks for the replies and yes this engine will never be much over stock (maybe mild cam upgrade later) Just trying to make it where it's not a total pig and has more umph than the stock 318 it's replacing..

Thanks for the replies and yes this engine will never be much over stock (maybe mild cam upgrade later) Just trying to make it where it's not a total pig and has more umph than the stock 318 it's replacing..

Try and bump the comp a bit...maybe 9.5:1, a bit of head porting and possibly a set of headers and dual exhaust...should wake it up.

...and advance the cam a few degrees when you install it...helps the low end torque.

There's a real recent thread talkin about the Edelbrock 2P2P intake. That would be a good choice for low end torque.

There's a real recent thread talkin about the Edelbrock 2P2P intake. That would be a good choice for low end torque.

Wish I could find one but I need it yesterday.. Thanks for all the input ...:glasses7:

Check out,the thin M.P head gaskets. Bump compression, 2-3 tenths.

Being how you need it soon, i assume your going new......For price and availability, The Performer is probably your best choice. Good news is, it will support a moderate cam upgrade. Just make sure you look for a cam that will increase the torque with your low compression. Depending on gear and tire size, something between the 215/225 @ .050 intake range should suffice.

That Summit K6400 cam kit. 1500-5000 rpm,214/[email protected] be on a 112 lobe center.Lift,.466/.488. Probably,120-130 can and lifters. Should idle,lite a slight lope.

-
Back