Low-deck header woes...

-

Bakarooda

Hell On Wheels
Reaction score
I know, I know, "Not another one!!" Oh well, I'm asking anyways, because I need help. Here's the deal. I'll do my best not to beat a dead horse here, but I'm running into serious problems choosing the right headers for my Barracuda. I want 2" primaries, which narrows me down (to the best of my knowledge) to Maddog under-chassis headers or Hooker Super comp fenderwell headers... That is unless Pro Parts semi-fenderwell headers will work with a low-deck motor?

Here's my setup:

I have a 400 that's destined for 512 cubes and a pair of Little EZs, or possibly 440Source's new aluminum heads. Either way, they use standard port sizes and locations. This is a Pro Street project that will see some real-world driving time, therefore a certain amount of ground clearance must be maintained, and I'd really prefer not to have to run 3.5" tires up front. The car will be running a stock-style front suspension and Schumacher mounts. RMS manual steering box, manual brakes, and a mini starter... Anything else I'm missing?

I'm aware that every header is a compromise, but I need opinions. There's lots of talk about the poor fitment of Hookers, and even when they are modified to fit, tire clearance is tight. With the Maddog headers, I understand that there is also a lot of fitment issues, and even when they are made to fit, ground clearance is low.

So tell me what you think! Are there other options? What is the largest tire I could run with the Hookers, or are they not worth the effort at all? What about the MadDogs? In your opinion, would ground clearance be too low for street/strip use?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

I think ya gotta ask yourself, if I buy the 1 7/8" TTI's that fit, will I really lose that much performance? Or do I want to use the Hookers (not on the street) or the maddogs. Its all relative. How important is that 20 horsepower you MIGHT lose with the TTI's?

I`ve heard the Maddog headers are easy to install and perform well. Schumacher`s tubing is too small and everything I`ve heard about Hooker is the fit is not good and ground clearance is an issue.

I noticed the link for Maddog Header's website is no longer working. Does anyone have contact information? I think I'll just call the man himself and discuss my needs.

Anyone?

And what's the deal with using Pro Parts headers on a low-deck motor? Will they hang too low or something?

Thanks.

MADDOG Headers
3900 S. Allen Rd.
Allen, MI 49227
(517)869-2308
Cell: (517)250-4487
Fax: (517)869-9012

Mark is great to work with. I did order a set of his headers for my son's 68 Dart 383. I too ran into fitment issues even with his headers and also ground clearance was a big issue.
I called and talked to him about it...What we did was I sent the headers back and he sent me a boat load of stuff so we could build our own..

Rick

Thanks for the information Rick. Is there something else that you would recommend instead of the Maddogs?

If your heart is set on running 2" headers on a low-deck engine, you will have to lose the eddy heads and get the Indy SR heads instead. This will allow you to use the 2" TTI headers designed for a low-deck application which will give you probably the most ground clearance. the SR head's exhaust ports are raised which provides the much needed clearance for the 2" tubes. If you want to keep the eddy heads TTI makes 1 3/4" headers that will work with those heads.

Thank you for your input. I was actually referring to the Indy 440-EZ heads, not the Edelbrock heads, but your point remains the same. I hate sacrificing performance just to get a couple damned tubes to fit in there. I guess I really underestimated how cramped that engine compartment is. Hell, it's almost easier to go with a 440 than to deal with the issues associated with a low-deck block...

I'm running TTI headers on my 440 Dust with Edes'y aluminum heads , I have have run 2 other sets of headers on this thing, and there is almost no way you can run any other header on the street. I originally had a 400 in it but never had the TTI's on it. Last 2 sets of headers I had were the pro parts semi fender well, and these baby's hang 2.5 inches below the frame. The hookers I had on the car have the same ground clearence but, dam you are going to smell a lot of burning rubber when you turn, as the tire does a fair bit of rubbing on the tubes. I also ran the Shumakers on an old 383 scamp I had, they go in real easy, no ground clearence problems, but you will suffer on the perf side, but would highly recomend them for a mild build.
Dam now that I've been there done that I'd say go with the TTI's, if your on the street.
(One thing about installing TTI's is that the motor is positioned corectly side to side, so if you previously had a motor plate it will cause you greif.)
My .02 worth

A couple of reasons that I didnt go with TTI's on this car...I dont like the idea of having to pull things apart to install them..like steering links and needing to lift the driver side of the car to instll them. Also it does capture the starter so if you do go with TTI's install a good starter first. I have looked at as many sets of headers as I care to and each have the good points and bad. We have some clearance requirements that we want to stick with...like ground clearance,starter access etc. One of the things I liked about Mark's headers is that they have slip joints in just the right places so that they can be installed without having to pull things apart.
Now with looking building a twin turbos system...starter changes wont be an issue..lol
Also here is what the car looks like from the rear currently

Rick and Rickey Jr.

altered.jpg

-
Back