Low Flying

-

2 Darts

A-body Addicted
Reaction score
I was heading from Alabama towards my first pilot job in Van Nuys. I had a 4-speed Hemi Superbird at the time. With no A/C in the car, I wanted to make it across the CA desert in the coolest part of the day.
I left my motel just as sunlight was starting to come over the horizon. I-10 was mostly completed, so I had a great place to let the Hemi do what it did best, drink gas and run like hell.
I saw a CHP coming the other way, too late. He whips around and I can barely see the winking lights in the mirror. I knew I had him beat but not the Motorola in his car. So I coasted over to the shoulder and waited for him to catch up.
I've got my license and registration out before he comes to a stop. The CHP officer took his sweet time getting out of the cruiser. I roll the window down as he swaggers up to the car.
"Where's your pilot's license for this thing?" He asks.
I reached into my flight bag on the front seat and pull out my freshly issued FAA Commercial Pilot certificate. He looked at the certificate, then at me.
He shook his head as he handed it back to me.
"I had that coming." He says.
He paused and and added. "Slow it down. Have a nice day."
He turned and walked off leaving me to consider what would have happened if the cop hadn't had a good sense of humor.

-
Back