Low speed clank when letting off gas

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
66 Dart with the 904. Ever since I installed the Lokar kickdown set up, I am getting a noticeable clank if I start from a stop, get to about 8 - 10mph, then let off gas all the way , the car shifts down with a hard clank. This only happens if I am drving slow, like in a parking lot. Seems like it is in 1st gear, i let off gas, and it shifts into 2nd automatically with a clunk.

Normal shifting is happening from 1st to 2nd at about 10mph btw.

any ideas>?

Don't do that then. :D

Most likely you are getting the 1-2 upshift when you let off the gas, and actually this is fairly normal and the only thing you can do about it is either back off the TP or increase it.
Stock the trans is adjusted with less TP than yours is now so they don't do that as noticeably, but if you want slightly later firmer shifts you have to put up with it.

The basics of what's happening is that the trans is delaying the 1-2 because you have the throttle on a bit, but when you let of the gas it is suddenly not under that load any longer and so it shifts.

Now if you raise the TP farther it will firm up as well as delay that 1-2 shift even longer and not make the shift in a parking lot at all.
It also gives you engine braking around parking lots because it stays in first.

Now that you know all that I would have to recommend you back off on the TP a little and make it shift a little sooner and that bang into second will pretty much be gone.
It will also make your shifts earlier and softer.
It will always be there in certain circumstances, but it'll just be a lot softer and less noticeable, so it's a trade off.

I adjust mine maybe .030 at a time and then drive it like I normally do for a bit before I make another change if it's needed.

-
Back