low vacume

-

71dart318

Reaction score
After my first startup/cam break in, the carb needed rebuilt due to old gas. After carb rebuild it ran much better. I am around 12 before on my timing. it still loads up at idle and will occasionally spit back through the carb. The quick fuel carb has 4 adjustment screws and with my vac gauge on cant get more than 10lbs. The gauge says I should be between 19 and 22lbs. Not sure what springs are in the msd distributor. or what I should have in. I am using msd 6anl box msd coil msd mechanical advance dist. Any ideas?? oh ya I'm using a 7717 eddy cam,could that be why:banghead:

Give it more timing for starters and see how much vacuum you can generate at idle before it is too much timing to start easily. Then adjust your advance curve back. Not going to get the 19-22 inches of vacuum though.

234° / 244° .488" / .510" 112° 107° and 10" vacuum at 1000 RPM idle per Edelbrock.

Just need to tune the carb for the cam.

how (now this may sound stupid) do know much past 12° since the timing tab only goes to 10.

You need a timing light with an advance knob on it, or timing tape on the balancer.

But for starters you just move the distributor until is sounds the best at idle and see if it will start hot. If it does then you start modifying your advance curve from there.....

You need a timing light with an advance knob on it, or timing tape on the balancer.

Might want to check into the timing light with advance knob working with msd. Thinking the timing tape on the balancer would be the best.

Search hillbilly timing tape. No need for a dial back light. Most are not very accurate unless you spend a lot of money. You can do everything you need with a simple timing light. You probably need somewhere around 18-20 initial timing and 34-36 total all in by 2500 or so RPM. It is something you will have to experiment with to get just right.

-
Back