low VOC paints?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I use acrylic urethane as my topcoats. paints really bother me. yes it would be nice to have a fresh air suit, but..... primers that are low VOC are no problem. looking for low voc for topcoat.

I see Summit offers a low VOC acrylic urethane, but not matched to original oem colors . I always go back with a original color pretty much. anyone have opinion of their paint, or know of supplier of low voc acrylic urethane. I have seen low voc clear coats.

This is the place I use, and have really good results with.
I found if I order through Walmart online the shipping is even 50% than ordering from these guys directly.
I am using AE low VOC but you can see what they have that you can use.
Restoration Shop

I found if I order through Walmart online the shipping is even 50% than ordering from these guys directly.
Restoration Shop

I have been using TCP products for several years and have always used their acrylic urethane from their "color library" which is direct match to OEM topcoats. but not low VOC. I might pick a color from their resto shop" chips and try that. I do use their low voc primers and I have no real problem shooting them. they have worked well for me and even if not finished for months, seem very durable. I will try to order thru Walmart to save some shipping costs which are pretty stout thru them. thanks.

Ppg aquabase waterborne paint is a great low voc base coat. Its a bit more expensive than solvent based products though.

The front clip of my Duster is painted with summit low voc acrylic urethane, that's all summit will ship to California. Spray out wasn't bad at all using a standard spray gun, paint is holding up well and my car lives outside. Eventually the whole thing will get painted black with the same summit low voc single stage.

Restoration Shop

What is the best primer to use with this ? I'm assuming single stage means you don't need to clear coat it.Correct ?

What is the best primer to use with this ? I'm assuming single stage means you don't need to clear coat it.Correct ?

I just use a high fill enamel based primer, and even a couple of different one's without a problem anywhere.
Single stage you don't have to clear, but you can do it if you wanted.
There is also some as of yet unclear information about the stuff posted has clear in the paint also, but the stuff I ordered came with a medium "wet look" hardener and I had to buy the reducer.
I mixed 8:1 paint and hardener and 4:1 with reducer and it came out like this.

SANY0016a.JPG

I just use a high fill enamel based primer, and even a couple of different one's without a problem anywhere.
Single stage you don't have to clear, but you can do it if you wanted.
There is also some as of yet unclear information about the stuff posted has clear in the paint also, but the stuff I ordered came with a medium "wet look" hardener and I had to buy the reducer.
I mixed 8:1 paint and hardener and 4:1 with reducer and it came out like this.

View attachment 1714941600

Thanks....That looks really good.I would be very happy for my paint to look that nice.

Thanks....That looks really good.I would be very happy for my paint to look that nice.

This is a picture of right after I sprayed it where the overhead light made the camera act kind of strange, but I thought it was a pretty cool effect.
You can see at the back of the scoop where the paint hadn't glossed completely yet.

SANY0007a.JPG

-
Back