low voltage at coil

-

'teen machine

Reaction score
I've got a running 318 with 4.5 volts between the 2 leads on the coil. If I unhook the power wire from the coil the wire shows 12 volts. Is this normal?

when key is in start position you get full voltage (bypasses the ballast resistor) and when you let the key go after it starts, in the run position, you get half voltage.

the purpose for this is that the coils last longer, they were designed for the lower voltage. if you run them at 12v all the time it makes them burn up quick. when starting the car, having extra voltage helps the car start easier.

someone else can come chime in with the exact voltages for you.

when key is in start position you get full voltage (bypasses the ballast resistor) and when you let the key go after it starts, in the run position, you get half voltage.

the purpose for this is that the coils last longer, they were designed for the lower voltage. if you run them at 12v all the time it makes them burn up quick. when starting the car, having extra voltage helps the car start easier.

someone else can come chime in with the exact voltages for you.
Thanks.

.........12 volts cranking, usually 7 or 8 running........U can get different resistance values in other resistors.....ur mopar needs so many ohms resistance.......kim.....

.........12 volts cranking, usually 7 or 8 running........U can get different resistance values in other resistors.....ur mopar needs so many ohms resistance.......kim.....

Would it run any better if it had 7 or 8 instead of 4 or 5?

I went and checked the Demon out. Not running 6.2 volts on the coil lead and when running it jumps to 7.4 volts I couldn't check voltage on coil when cranking as I was by myself.
What resistance is your resister? Mine was .8 of an ohm.

-
Back