Lower control arm bushing - Help please

-
Yup! This is the way to go! Sucks it right out of there!!!!!

Screw that chisel stuff... LOL I used to do it that way, 25 years ago.... I'm lazy!

Do you have a welder?

Weld a washer in the end of the hole then use a bolt with nut/washer and press to get it out. be careful not to weld the washer to the arm. We've been doing it this way a long time. MM had an article here are some pics.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/photo_05.html

155_0306_arm_5_z.jpg

155_0306_arm_6_z.jpg

155_0306_arm_7_z.jpg

155_0306_arm_8_z.jpg

Make sure you need to get the shell out. The first PST Polygraphite kit I put in required re-use of the LCA shell.

Having access to a press is the way to go, no question about it. You must keep stuff perfectly aligned because it can come shooting out with a lot of force.

On the cheap end of things. I use a drill bit that is slightly larger than the inner sleeve of the bushing. The sleeve locks onto the bit and comes right out. I then use a keyhole saw to get the rubber out. Sometimes have to use a little gas and light to burn rubber out. Once cooled, I use various widths of cold chisels to split the side of the shell. Once the side of the shell is split, it can be tapped out. Oh yeah, the method of choice for powering the chisels is a BF Machinist hammer.

-
Back