Lower Control Arm question

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
Well, I have the lower control arms out and have the new bushings, but i don't know how to install them. I'm not sure how the shaft comes out. Can anyone help?

Tom

They are press fit so you do what you have to without breaking something:D
Even if that is to take them to get pressed.
If you do take them in, also be sure you know how they are supposed to look done (just in case)
I have seen some that came back incorrectly seated.

PS, true on the fact that if you decide on poly bushings, you just knock/cut the rubber and inner sleeve out of the shell (leaving the shell in the arm and the new poly bushing goes inside it.)

They are press fit so you do what you have to without breaking something:D
Even if that is to take them to get pressed.
If you do take them in, also be sure you know how they are supposed to look done (just in case)
I have seen some that came back incorrectly seated.

PS, true on the fact that if you decide on poly bushings, you just knock/cut the rubber and inner sleeve out of the shell (leaving the shell in the arm and the new poly bushing goes inside it.)

Good advice, I picked up my LCA's from a local shop yesterday and should have looked them over closer here is what I found when I went to install them:

Looks like maybe they installed the bushings and then pushed out the inner sleeve with the pivot arm? Nothing to lose so I am going to try an press them back in but I already ordered some new ones and will go back to the shop on Monday. Maybe they will just let me use the press, If you want something done right...........

Attachments

• DSC_0865.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 144
Good advice, I picked up my LCA's from a local shop yesterday and should have looked them over closer here is what I found when I went to install them:

Looks like maybe they installed the bushings and then pushed out the inner sleeve with the pivot arm? Nothing to lose so I am going to try an press them back in but I already ordered some new ones and will go back to the shop on Monday. Maybe they will just let me use the press, If you want something done right...........

Yea, that's not going to work is it? :)
Clearly some of them don't understand how the parts work or what's involved.

Yea, those are toast! you'll need to start over and install the bushing on the pivot shaft first, then press into the arm.

-
Back