Lower control arm shaft(some call it a pin) question

-

dodgemahal

Reaction score
1973 Dart here. Do you need to have the full weight of the car on the LCA bushing to tighten the shaft nut to spec? I'm using Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings. I greased them according to instructions. I just want to get it snug but with the car currently in the air the nut reaches a certain point on the threads and the shaft just spins inside the bushing. I understand that the car has to be on the ground for the final torquing.

If the nut spins with tires in the air, then it will likely also spin with the weight on the tires.
I had that same problem, back in 1998, but I have forgotten how I solved it.
With rubber bushings, the pins are captured by the press-fit and so, yes, the LCA's have to be at ride height.
But not so with the loose-fit polys.

Oh I think I remember, now;
Those pins will stop spinning when they press/suck into, the K-member sockets.
Which means the LCA's don't actually need to be on the pins. With the LCAs out of the way, you can clamp the pins, up near the root, tighten the nut, then polish out the tool-marks so they don't eat your polys..

Last edited:
Interesting. So, tighten the nut but not all the way to spec, because the car has to be on the ground for that, right? That solution will be at the top of the list. I'm anxious to see what others say.

Doug, for some reason your reply didn't post to this thread. Can you re-try?

I went through this a few months ago. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.

When you lower the car the bushing gets grabbed hard enough to where it will not spin when you tighten it. Just proceed with your assembly (T bar will hold lca fully in) and tighten it when you have the weight of car on the ground.

Ironically the final torquing would theoretically not have to be on the ground because the pin is designed to spin (or at least slip) in the bushing as you drive.

If you have Poly or Delrin LCA bushings the pivots/pins don’t need to be torqued at ride height. Those bushings rotate on the pivot/pin, so it doesn’t matter where they get torqued.

The factory rubber LCA bushings need to be torqued at ride height because nothing spins or rotates. All of the suspension travel is flex in the bushing. Because of that the LCA needs to be roughly in the middle of its travel range, so half the rubber flex is up and half is down. If the pivot/pin nut is torqued with the suspension on the bump stops, the rubber can’t flex far enough to cover the whole range of travel and it will tear.

As far as keeping the pivot/pin from spinning, I use an impact. But a lot of the aftermarket pivots come with a nylock nut, so that doesn’t always work. The factory used a crush nut. So in those cases sometimes you have to grab the pivot by the shoulder from the LCA side to keep it from spinning. If the suspension isn’t fully assembled you can slide the LCA back to get the room to grab the shoulder, don’t damage the surface the bushing rides on. With Delrin or poly bushings you can just install the pivots/pins by themselves and torque them like that, then install the LCA if you want.

Another option would be to just use a lock washer and a standard, non-locking nut. With that final torque on those nuts having them loosen up is pretty unlikely. You could use Loctite too. That way you’d be able to spin the nut on with an impact and when it hits the lock washer it should grab and not spin the pivot.

Another option would be to just use a lock washer and a standard, non-locking nut
Now there's an idea.

Get a regular nut and flat washer.

Tighten it up with that. Then remove the standard nut and put the locknut on. The tapered shaft should be seated and not spin

I have old school car ramps. I jacked the car up and put a ramp under each wheel so I could get under the car and tighten everything up and adjust the torsion bars more easily with the weight on the suspension. You can get the ramps pretty cheap at garage and yard sales.

If you have Poly or Delrin LCA bushings the pivots/pins don’t need to be torqued at ride height. Those bushings rotate on the pivot/pin, so it doesn’t matter where they get torqued.

The factory rubber LCA bushings need to be torqued at ride height because nothing spins or rotates. All of the suspension travel is flex in the bushing. Because of that the LCA needs to be roughly in the middle of its travel range, so half the rubber flex is up and half is down. If the pivot/pin nut is torqued with the suspension on the bump stops, the rubber can’t flex far enough to cover the whole range of travel and it will tear.

As far as keeping the pivot/pin from spinning, I use an impact. But a lot of the aftermarket pivots come with a nylock nut, so that doesn’t always work. The factory used a crush nut. So in those cases sometimes you have to grab the pivot by the shoulder from the LCA side to keep it from spinning. If the suspension isn’t fully assembled you can slide the LCA back to get the room to grab the shoulder, don’t damage the surface the bushing rides on. With Delrin or poly bushings you can just install the pivots/pins by themselves and torque them like that, then install the LCA if you want.

Another option would be to just use a lock washer and a standard, non-locking nut. With that final torque on those nuts having them loosen up is pretty unlikely. You could use Loctite too. That way you’d be able to spin the nut on with an impact and when it hits the lock washer it should grab and not spin the pivot.
72bluNblu, your lock washer method seems to work. I haven't put the final torque on it yet, but I have it really right now....no spinning. Did this with no weight o

Hit send accidentally. Did this with no weight on the bushings
You can edit you posts.

Look for the drop-down arrow lower right of your post
Screenshot_20240414-134603.png

Wow, thanks! I was looking for that edit thing.

Okay. I got to 110 ft-lbs and it started to spin again. I'm hoping that with the weight of the car on that poly bushing it will pinch it hard enough it will hold still.

-
Back