lower control arms

-

n8ling

Reaction score
What is the trick to getting the lower control arms and the torsion bar adjustment off of the torsion bars, are they just seized or am I missing something. The k-member is out and all thats left are the lower control arms on the long bars, if there are snap\split rings on there I can't seem to find them. Once everything is off will they just slide out the back cross member??

There is a spring clip in the rear of each tortion bar mount that has to be removed before the bars will slide out the rear. If you use a pair of needle nose pliers you can squeeze the little tabs together then just pull them out.

When I removed the front suspension & K-member from my 66 Valiant, I had to take a large hammer and just drive the suspension slowly off the torsion bars, because they would not go out through the rear monuts. I put those things in there about 20 years ago, and figured it would be a snap to get them back out - NOT!! Once they were off in the front, I just gave each one a light tap with a hammer and they then slid out the rear. Hope this helps.

They're probly seized. I got my passenger side off with a little heat and blaster, but the driver side I had to torch off. Just remember to take the rubber bumpers off of the control arms before applying any heat----- -
I didn't(duh).

If the control arms are loose from the K-member, it's a simple matter to work the arms forward and pull the bars through the T-Bar support, then just heat the sockets on the control arms and remove the T-bars.

Mark.

-
Back