lower radiator hose P/N for 74Duster

-

scott mattingly

Reaction score
Gents,
After spending the past 20-30 minutes searching/reading various previous posts with the words "Radiator hose" or "lower radiator hose" in the subject line, I am opting to bug you all with a new thread on this fascinating topic.
I replaced all the radiator/heater/coolant hoses on my duster over a year ago, BUT could not locate a correct replacement for the lower radiator hose. My local parts stores cross referenced to a replacement hose but it's shape and I.D. were wrong when I tried to install. My current hose is still in pretty good shape but I want to change it before next cruising season.
RADIATOR: (see 2 pics:best I have right now that show top of radiator and shroud) My car originally came with a slant six engine with A/C and now has a 360. The radiator is an OEM model as its mounting holes line up with factory mounting points. BUT, I am not sure if it is original to the car. Shroud is OEM and still has some faded manuf. stickers. Also running a 5-bladed clutch fan. Car runs VERY cool(195-200) even on hottest summer days.
LOWER HOSE P/N: after checking several car parts web sites, I located what is listed to be a lower hose for a 74 duster w a 360 engine from O'reilly. It is Gates P/N 20958 and its picture looks "about right" but it might be a generic photo of a radiator hose. But even the pic doesn't exactly match what I am using.
ANYONE HAVE AN ACTUAL brand name/Part Number for a known replacement hose? I realize I could use a universal spring lined hose but I am currently having my engine stroked to a 414 and believe the smoother factory style hoses flow better. My next step is to just start ordering hoses and returning them until I find the right one....
Sorry for bugging everyone with such a mundane question/issue but I appreciate any feedback.
-Scott

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_8765.JPG

Might be this one as your car originally had heavy duty cooling if it had AC. I stand to be corrected on this.

I find Nappa Auto Parts really good for cross referencing parts. O'Reillys Auto parts are good as well but their site is much more difficult to navigate. Call them instead.

Select to Compare
47707.jpg
NAPA Lower Belt

Part # :
UNR 7695
Product Line :
NAPA Belts / Hose
Fits Your Vehicle
ONLINE PRICE (CAD):
$24.59 /Each

A. Andrews,
This picture looks just like the Gates P/N i found at O'reilly's web site. I guess the next step is to order one and see how it goes.
THX a LOT for this assist.
-Scott

A. Andrews/all,
My search continues... After picking up the Gates hose I mention above (P/N 20958) from my local parts store, I discovered that it in fact does NOT have the same bends as the hose I am trying to replace AND the I.D. of the inlet end (that connects to the lower radiator outlet) is too large(the parts store told me it crossed over to the NAPA P/N in A. Andrews post as the same hose.).
So,...Maybe my radiator is an "oddball" one but the lower outlet pipe of the radiator is 1.5" O.D. while the inlet pipe to the water pump is 1.75" O.D. My current hose matches these and it appears that the ends were actually formed to match these 2 different size connections. I realize that sounds odd, but my current hose does not appear to have been forced to fit on either end, even though the I.D.s of each differ by .25".
Am I simply dealing with an odd arrangement/radiator? Maybe it a 6-cylinder radiator and was kept in the car by the P.O. when the 360 was installed? Does anyone know of a source for a lower radiator hose that fits this type of set-up?
THANKS again,
-Scott

A. Andrews/all,
My search continues... After picking up the Gates hose I mention above (P/N 20958) from my local parts store, I discovered that it in fact does NOT have the same bends as the hose I am trying to replace AND the I.D. of the inlet end (that connects to the lower radiator outlet) is too large(the parts store told me it crossed over to the NAPA P/N in A. Andrews post as the same hose.).
So,...Maybe my radiator is an "oddball" one but the lower outlet pipe of the radiator is 1.5" O.D. while the inlet pipe to the water pump is 1.75" O.D. My current hose matches these and it appears that the ends were actually formed to match these 2 different size connections. I realize that sounds odd, but my current hose does not appear to have been forced to fit on either end, even though the I.D.s of each differ by .25".
Am I simply dealing with an odd arrangement/radiator? Maybe it a 6-cylinder radiator and was kept in the car by the P.O. when the 360 was installed? Does anyone know of a source for a lower radiator hose that fits this type of set-up?
THANKS again,
-Scott

Hi Scott,
If you have the old hose that worked for your application, bring it into a Nappa dealer. They have 1000's of hoses in stock and may be able to match it up for you. If not, they may be able to come close with a hose you can trim to fit. Of course this depends on the people at the store you visit...some will help , others not so much..

-
Back