Lower Radiator hose question

-

John Morrow

Mopars and Harleys
Reaction score
Having some heating issues at highway speeds, I can drive in the city or in parade for that matter and it can run all day, but when I get on highway 60-70 mph for 30 minutes or so it starts climbing .....so now I'm going through the elimination process.
The question I have ...Right now anyway ..... is on the lower radiator hose, I bought a new one and it looks like it has to be cut off about 1/2 inch or so where it goes on the water pump so it will line up with the radiator.
... Is this normal ? I would think it should just be the right length. Anyone else run into this. My old hose that is on the car looks as if it has been cut also.

Radiator has been Rodded out cleaned .....for a different reason...... thermostat is/was fairly new I have changed that and was going to replace hose again, first hose replacement didnt work out so well after cutting ....... the hose I just bought looks like the one I screwed up, so the old one is back on car. Should the hose be cut to fit? ...... oh ya, this is on a 72 Dodge Demon 340

Does the lower hose have a spring in it? If not, rev the engine manually from under the hood and watch the hose to see if it collapsing. If it is you can make a spring with a wire coat hanger and put it in the hose.

I know I didn't answer the cutting issue, but it might shed some light on the overheating issue.

Many hoses are made a little too long so you have to cut them to the right length. Better to make a hose a little long than too short.

Thanks ....... I was told the exact thing at a cruise in tonight on the too long too short thing ...only they added a little more to it ....lol.......... Going to give the spring thing a try.

-
Back