lower steering column bearing

-

73dartneedswork

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 73 Dart Swinger with power steering and column shift. My problem is, the steering shaft flops around inside the shift tube. It seems as if there should be a bearing or a bushing in there. There is no evidence that a bearing or bushing was ever on this column. I could see where a bushing would fall out, but not a bearing.
I've used the search function and found a bearing at Year One that looks like it would work, but it's $95.
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?input=lower+steering+column+bearing&SM=1&SC=1
Before I spend the money on this bearing, I'd like to know what originally came with the car.
Also, if I purchase this bearing, I assume that the pin at the end of the steering shaft punches out, so I can put the bearing on.

I appreciate any help,
Kris

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4548.JPG

There is no bearing or bushing needed at that point. With the coupler attached to the box it has all the support it needs. I can see a bushing in the upper part of your photo that is retained by clip (not visible in photo). It supports the shift tube inside the housing.

-
Back