Lowering rear of car

-

Toms70Duster

Reaction score
I have super stock springs on my Duster. They make the back of the car sit really high. When I installed the relocation kit I drilled extra holes on the front mounts about 3 inches higher than the pre drilled holes. I tried changing the spring to the top holes and it made the driveshaft bind up. The car would only roll 5-6 feet then stop. I guess it changed the pinion angle. Someone told me they had heard about putting blocks under the springs to lower the body and it wouldn't affect the pinion angle. Has anyone ever done this? Where do you get the blocks and wouldn't you need longer u-bolts?
Thanks, Tom

You can always put shims on the spring purches to get the pinion angle back to where it should be.

Just noticed you are in NN I have some shims left from my car that you could try.

Just noticed you are in NN I have some shims left from my car that you could try.

That would be great. I'd love to see your car too. I'm hardly ever home so the best way to reach me is at work. I work at Farm Fresh in Poquson-868-7128, ask for the meat dept. Thanks, Tom

I started with 2" blocks as I was building mine. Then, as the weight increased and it settled I switched to 1" blocks. If you buy a block kit they usually include new/longer bolts. (Stock ESPO springs)

I lowered the back of my Duster with the S/S springs by just
flipping the front spring mount. This won't change the pinion
angle at all. You can lower the rear by about 2 in.
All out have to do is to elongate the mounting holes to the
frame. It won't cost anything in parts. Just some new bolts.
Here's a pic after I did this.

000_0094 (2).jpg

Those super stock springs are definitely stiff. Here is how I lowered mine. Sits mighty nice now. :toothy10:

P9020011.jpg

P9020018.jpg

I really hate to say this kind of stuff, but....

SS springs are made for drag racing. Your car will sit high, and even higher on the pass side. This is how they are designed. When you play with this ride height you void the whole (or most of) point of having SS springs.

In short... If you don't like how it sits, get the right springs.

What you want are the XHD or some other stockish spring.

This is how my car sits with XHD and front hangers flipped. 26.25" from fender lip to the ground. Im pulling off 1.8 60' times on the E70-14 redlines with no "From the street to the track" changes. Thats a Dana 60 with snubber under there.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

-
Back