LS rockers on a Mopar?

-
A smart person learns from his mistake.
A smarter person learns from others mistakes
I'm not sure it's a mistake per say, but I don't think it's a step forward, either. lol

I wonder if the LS rocker conversion was done in an attempt to correct an issue with those heads.On my Speedmasters, the stock rocker shafts don't fit the rocker stand saddles very well. It's a loose fit and they wobble. I don't know if this is a common issue with these heads or not. I'm not sure what the best (and most cost effective) solution would be . I haven't put much thought into it as I'm not in a big hurry to use the heads yet.

I totally agree. You never know when you might hit on something. Just not this time. LOL
Actually, by doing a quick mock-up on it with a set of iron heads and an 1/8 square washer underneath rocker shaft straddling the rocker stand, the geometry looks great (well, considering speedmaster especially!), going by Mike’s (B3) directions. Mock-up on the long block will tell the tale. There might would have to be some grinding for pushrod clearance, but that’s fairly typical.

Last edited:
When he talked at least about the valves, springs, retainers being Chevy stuff, that didn't surprise me, they are on the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads also. Was a direct swap for the beehive type springs I used and they're all designed for Chevy small blocks.

I found using the "Viper" rods more intriguing than the LS rocker. In my opinion, the mopar rocker shaft set up is one of the most superior out there and has been used on huge horsepower set ups for 60+ years. A lot of aftermarket support for the rockers for any spring pressure needed.

I found using the "Viper" rods more intriguing than the LS rocker. In my opinion, the mopar rocker shaft set up is one of the most superior out there and has been used on huge horsepower set ups for 60+ years. A lot of aftermarket support for the rockers for any spring pressure needed.
I agree plenty of stuff available

A lot of guys asking "why?", Derek explained it all. It was all stuff his machinist/engine builder friend already had lying around. Maybe he didn't have a set of Magnum or LA rockers appropriate for 7000+ RPM but he was likely tripping over the LS parts. There is no good reason to use most of that stuff aside from it was already on hand and it was easy to make it work. Same for the Viper rods. The guy's used to working on more modern high-end stuff and Derek just came to him and asked, "I want a rowdy 318 SBM as cheap as possible."

I agree with MopaR&D. I think that the reason behind the LS rockers is that they are "free" just like the Viper rods. I'm will to bet these are good used take offs. From that perspective, this setup would be cheaper than a roller rocker mopar specific setup and considerably better than stock setup. Same thing with the Viper rods. Dirt cheap for a good ol boy with connections to a race engine builder, but probably not for someone else trying to reproduce this at home.

I agree with MopaR&D. I think that the reason behind the LS rockers is that they are "free" just like the Viper rods. I'm will to bet these are good used take offs. From that perspective, this setup would be cheaper than a roller rocker mopar specific setup and considerably better than stock setup. Same thing with the Viper rods. Dirt cheap for a good ol boy with connections to a race engine builder, but probably not for someone else trying to reproduce this at home.
If you look at the video he just about says that ( at 50-51 minutes in ) stares something like, it is all reused, used junk repurposed.

Not sure if you guys subscribe to Motortrend but in the latest episode of roadworthy rescues, Derek and Dulcich put this 351 sbm with LS valvetrain in a coronet and it seems to run pretty damn good.

Not sure if you guys subscribe to Motortrend but in the latest episode of roadworthy rescues, Derek and Dulcich put this 351 sbm with LS valvetrain in a coronet and it seems to run pretty damn good.

Is that the same engine he put in his duster on his YouTube channel?

Curious if anyone knows of a perceived benefit from the Viper rods? I always understood that the Viper V10 was a Magnum with 2 extra cylinders. I could be wrong there. Did they come with some high zoom rods?

Cley

A lot of guys asking "why?", Derek explained it all. It was all stuff his machinist/engine builder friend already had lying around. Maybe he didn't have a set of Magnum or LA rockers appropriate for 7000+ RPM but he was likely tripping over the LS parts. There is no good reason to use most of that stuff aside from it was already on hand and it was easy to make it work. Same for the Viper rods. The guy's used to working on more modern high-end stuff and Derek just came to him and asked, "I want a rowdy 318 SBM as cheap as possible."
...and that's reason enough. If you don't have one thing, you make another work. That's hot rodding. But I still maintain for the sake of "just doing it" that it adds nothing we don't already have. That was my argument. Now, if this had actually added a benefit, I'd be all over it and if someone else is in the same position, "I guess" do it. But what's all the machine work cost? More than the correct rockers, I bet.

Tennessee hot rod hillbilly engineering is about making stuff work and saving a buck you might not have/ whats wrong with that?
Nothing. But what about the cost of the machine work?

Watched it last night with my wife. We DVR it. They made a great team.
Watched the VW bug with small block Chevy 400hp (Blueprint crate) show too. Those 2 guys also make a great Duo.
Engine Masters on to night.

Nothing. But what about the cost of the machine work?

I agree, iirc though it was kind of a case where it was (somehow?) easier for Derek's machinist friend to modify the heads to work with what he had lying around than get something Mopar-specific. It didn't make sense when I heard it and still doesn't really make sense to me now but... I guess that's just what he decided to do lol. Weird way to go for sure.

I agree, iirc though it was kind of a case where it was (somehow?) easier for Derek's machinist friend to modify the heads to work with what he had lying around than get something Mopar-specific. It didn't make sense when I heard it and still doesn't really make sense to me now but... I guess that's just what he decided to do lol. Weird way to go for sure.
Exactly...and again, I'm not knockin it. He had it at his disposal, did it and it cost him little to nothing. He used what he had. That's hot roddin!

This has gotta be the stupidest thing since those things you put in your air intake hose to make the air swirl. Just makes zero sense. Negative sense even.
Can't say I disagree. I remember those too. Guaranteed X% HP increase.
You beat me to it.
Look, everybody. I totally understand that @Garrett Ellison posted this as a, "Hey guys, check this out' thing. I do think it is interesting when people adapt things to make them work. My only question is, "Why spend the money to convert LS rockers to a Mopar engine." Don't we have high quality, name brand parts available that are specifically designed (and tested) for our engines? I think I would rather stick with buying those parts than paying to have GM parts converted.

Can't say I disagree. I remember those too. Guaranteed X% HP increase.
You beat me to it.
Look, everybody. I totally understand that @Garrett Ellison posted this as a, "Hey guys, check this out' thing. I do think it is interesting when people adapt things to make them work. My only question is, "Why spend the money to convert LS rockers to a Mopar engine." Don't we have high quality, name brand parts available that are specifically designed (and tested) for our engines? I think I would rather stick with buying those parts than paying to have GM parts converted.
That's just it. He never paid to get them converted. And the shop gits free advertising that they can do anything.

Well like I've said all through this thread, I admire the vision on this. I do. They made something work. That's hot roddin. For the rest of us without friends who own machine shops, is this a viable method? I'm sayin no. I'm also sayin that even if this was a "bolt on swap" there wouldn't be "much" gain. 1.7 ratio as opposed to 1.6 for the Magnum. Like I've long said, just pick the right cam for "whatever" the stock ratio is on your engine and run it.

We're in luck! There's going to be a three part build series on this engine. Just saw the first one was released this morning on youtube.

-
Back