Lube input splines or not?

-

694spd

Reaction score
My OEM type clutch kit came with a small packet of spline lube. I had read some where that the splines should not be lubed. I guess due to the risk of the grease getting slung on to the clutch surface. Any opinions on this?

My OEM type clutch kit came with a small packet of spline lube. I had read some where that the splines should not be lubed. I guess due to the risk of the grease getting slung on to the clutch surface. Any opinions on this?
I think that would be a good place for dry lube: graphite powder. just a little, not excessive.

Mopar repair manual for installing manual transmission. It does say to put .5 teaspoon of grease in back of pilot bushing.
upload_2017-7-30_14-39-2.png

The Mopar bible says no, but they didn't have the following lubricant available when they wrote that above referenced statement, and it is an added cost on a procedure that most people will use too much lube on.

So, I use a very small amount of synthetic disc brake lube applied with a small acid brush. It's just enough to "wet" these parts. The same lube goes on all my clutch linkage and anywhere else on the car where something moves, pivots or twists. It's one of the best lubricants we have access to, and is extremely resistant to washout, heat or drying out.

-
Back