Lubricants

-

Darius

Darius
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I noticed some small leakage from my rear end housing. I have not had the rear end up high enough yet to determine exactly what is there, all I know is it is an 8 3/4 axle and I have not confirmed anything (tonite after work I will).
For now ,however, I will at least have to see about the leak and possibly replace some lubricant. What type would be best? What has dripped out appears to be very clean and clear.
Thanks
Darius

fluid from the rearend will be very dark and have a smell all its own. Even if you've never smelled gear lube, when you smell it you will know what it is. Clean and clear doesn't wound like rear end lube. If there's a red tint, it could be trans fluid.

It would help to know if it is coming from the pinion seal or the housing/3rd member seal. If it is the pinion seal you may just want to top it up until it gets bad enough to pull the 3rd member and have that replaced. Maybe go with new bearings or possibly other upgrades associated with a rear end refresh at that time. OTOH, you may want to take the opportunity to change the fluid completely and re-seal the 3rd member to the housing if that is where the leak is coming from and you are already buying gear oil. That would be relatively trivial.

But in any event, I'd put either a 75w-90 or 75w-140 synthetic gear oil in there and be done with it for awhile. :thumbup:

-
Back