M1 Intake/Carburetor Hood Clearance on Early A body

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has an early a-body with a Mopar Prerformance M1 single plane intake or similiar intake that is higher than the stock manifold? I was wondering if I am going to have problems closing my hood. I looked at the dropped air cleaner bases at Summit Dropped Air Cleaner Base

Would this solve the hood clearance problem I think I might have once I get the 340 in the car. Hopefully some of you have run into this. Thanks.

P.S. Everyone rocks on this site. :goodman:

daves66valiant said:
Wondering if anyone has an early a-body with a Mopar Prerformance M1 single plane intake or similiar intake that is higher than the stock manifold? I was wondering if I am going to have problems closing my hood. I looked at the dropped air cleaner bases at Summit Dropped Air Cleaner Base

Would this solve the hood clearance problem I think I might have once I get the 340 in the car. Hopefully some of you have run into this. Thanks.

P.S. Everyone rocks on this site. :goodman:

Yea, I put in a 383 into my (not so early) 71 Demon and with a Weiand single plane and a 1 spacer I had to go to the dropped air cleaner and I still only had 1/2" of clearance. Therefore, with your 340 and an M1 you should be able to use the stock air filter but measure the clearance once the carbs installed.
I am curious why you would go to a single plane manifold. Is the engine modified to handle it. I'd also recommend going to a 4 hole 1" spacer as this will help the off idle engine response that can be a problem with a single plane manifold. I ended up going to a AAR fiberglass hood with the 6 pack scoop so I could put on a big air filter, also I always liked the look of the 6 pack hood.:evil2:

P9100005 (Custom).JPG

Yes the engine is modified with ported/polished J heads, high performance cam profile. Roller rockers, 750 Holley, etc. 410hp 425torque on 92 pump gas. It may be too much intake but I have not put it in the car yet. The dyno numbers are pretty much worthless until I get the engine in the car and drive it. I was reading the FBO 4-hole spacer article and I think I will definetly go with that setup for a smoother ride and idle. Just have to make sure if I want to keep the Holley or go with a Demon and have it setup by Don.
Thanks.

Keep it coming

I am using a "stock" 273 4 bbl air cleaner,
LD4B intake, and Edelbrock # 1406.

For the air cleaner base, I am using a "fits all" 9 or 10 inch base.

2549july_3rd_2005_Pittsfield_car_show_003-med.jpg

2549july_3rd_2005_Pittsfield_car_show_021-med.jpg

I have a 360, Eddy head with M1 single plane. Mighty Demon 650 DP, and 3/4 carb spacer. I used Barry Grant's drop 14" aircleaner... All from Don at FBO.
It all fits, I just get very slight rubbing at the front-top of the aircleaner from the hood.

I am running a performer rpm on a 360 in my 63 dart with no hood clearance issues. I am using the triangle edelbrock filter on top. I believe they call it the pro-flo or something like that. I do not have any hood insulation though. It was missing when I bought the car.

M1 with a demon,and a 2" spacer, with 3" air cleaner. Just gets into the scoop. You should be fine.

I decided to put the M1 and the old 750 Holley 3310 on the shelf for now and bought a 650 Mighty Demon and Eddy RPM manifold from Don at FBO. I also got the 4 hole spacer kit and Barry Grant 3" Air Cleaner kit. I think I will be much happier considering my engine build and tranny setup.

-
Back