Macco or miricle paint?

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
This is a sin for a question .......but has anyone gotten there car painted by MACCO or Mircle? If so how do you like the work? why dont you like the work? and do you have any pics of your car painted by them....Im on a budget and i know the Manager.

This has been along time ago (1982) but I had one of my Buick GS Stage 1's painted at a Miracle and it came out awsome. But I new the manager also and that would be key to getting a really good job done. I also told them not to rush on the car because I was still working on the engine and to use only your best guy(s) that like muscle cars because they will treat it better. Most of these companies have no problem laying down the paint, it is the prep work were they usually lack patience and a poorly prepped and rushed job is usually what kills the finished product. I took all of the trim of the car including bumpers that way all they had to mask was the windows. No door locks, handles, nothing.

Chuck

You may be in a position to take some advice I was given a while back. Buy the Paint yourself and get the best painter working there to do the work and give him a good tip.

I ve seen a few of the cars they have done (65 mustang and 68 camero) and i was shocked. It looked really good. But they wernt my car and was wondering on any personal experiance.

when I was in college a buddy of mine got his 67 Mustang painted at Maaco, it actually looked pretty good except for the fact that they painted side marker lights and one of the headlights...lol. I helped him clean it off the areas it shouldn't have been on.

unreformed66 said:
when I was in college a buddy of mine got his 67 Mustang painted at Maaco, it actually looked pretty good except for the fact that they painted side marker lights and one of the headlights...lol. I helped him clean it off the areas it shouldn't have been on.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. If you remove these types of things yourself you will have a much better job.

Chuck

It's best to roll it in on 4 fugly tires and wheels, no trim of any kind. Glass removed all weatherstriping, basically every single piece that's bolted or glued on. Hit them up when they are having one of their half off sales but put in alot of extras. Door jambs, under hood, dash etc.. I helped my friend with his 64 Nova do this with Earl Scheib $50 paint job, only got one run. We drove it there with only a milk crate to sit on and a junk set of pedals, and a ghetto wiring job to just only get the motor to run, this way they didn't have to worry about masking anything off. He paid $50 for the basic, 50 for the jambs, underhood, and an additional 25 for the complete trunk. And a $50 slipped to the painter before the car was rolled in. The one run was easy to get rid of, and the paint lasted till his ex girl dumped a quart of brake fluid all over. And my neighbor just had his car painted at Miracle for $1200, well worth the job they did in my opinion.

I would drop buy and look a a couple their just completed jobs from these guys. Depends a lot on the talent of the guy running the spray gun, (kinda like a haircut). Most can do a good job if you make it worth their while. I've seen some bad ones though. Howard

Took mine in last week to see what they thought it would take to paint. The guy in Eugene seamed really competent and didn't over sell. Looked at an $800 job on a Honda that looked great. He said they used a single stage paint and added clear on the final coat. I wonder if that's good or not? They wanted $1500 for body work but I've been told it's their weak point.

My RR After being painted by Maaco, back in 1984, good paint, horible body work. The paint still looks good today after 20+ years.

rr.jpg

As everyone has pretty much said, remove everything you can yourself AND clean the bejesus out of it, detergent, grease remover, etc., expecially your jambs! The bottom line is, it only takes about an hour to paint a car depending on number of coats and system you use, BUT it takes a ton of time to remove, mask and prep so that's where they will take short cuts. Paint does not stick to dirty, greasy, unscuffed surfaces!

Yup, pretty much point and squirt shops. If you pay them to pull/mask chrome, fix dings, and align panels, it will cost as much or more than anywhere else. If you do most of the grunt work, and want somebody who can just shoot the car in a clean booth, these shops are a good deal. Generally their hourly rates for prep work are pretty steep, and you pay for each ding/nick/rust spot separately.

The few Ive seen the paint looked good but the couple that had bodywork the quality was terrible.Most guys I know take it in with all the major work done a pretty much ready to go.

My buddy had his Dart painted at a Maaco and the guy did a great job, no runs or orange peel or anything. They seem to have good reliable guys there who represent their company so they're good, but they just did the bare minimum. They didn't take the effort to make sure some small overlooked areas were complete, but I'm sure if we had tipped the guy or pointed the areas out he would have fixed them. The painter was an older guy and liked muscle cars. I'm talking about things like the edge of the hood and the edges of the hinges and stuff, areas he wasn't contracted to paint but could have to make a better finished product.

My son had his Duster painted at Maaco,he paid $1000.00 dollars for paint and body work,now granted he had it painted midnight blue--very dark,It turned out like sh#t,you could see every bit of the body work,My advice is definatly make sure your body work is tits before it gets painted.

Bob

My Swinger is not too far from a paint job. I've got most of the body work done. I also plan to shoot the jams, trunk & hood underside, firewall, plus the seam edges myself. I will have someone else shoot all outer surfaces. I do not have the facilities to shoot the whole car, plus I don't have the everyday practice. I've done this before, with good results. Howard

-
Back