Machine Head or not

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Ok well I finally got the valves adjusted and noticed the engine shaking after buttoning everything up. It had before as well but there were some issues the carb had a crack in it once that was found I assumed it was a vacuum leak screwing with the fuel to air ratio at idle.

I brought it to my mechanic turns out the valve guides are worn out mostly on the exhaust side. On 2 or 3 the play is around 5-6 mm. So my question is should I have head machined and new guides installed or should I replace the head. I have looked around for a head and I am not having a lot of luck but I haven't looked to hard. As for the machining I called 1 person and he quoted me around 250.00. I don't know but hope it includes disassemble and reassemble. Does having new guides installed introduce anything I should know about?

Look up Dover Cylinder Head in Atlanta dude. They are great. Ask for Jesse and tell him Rob Merritt told you to call. That's me. They have been in business a really long time and do fantastic work. ALL they do is head work. They are very reasonable, too.

-
Back