Machine shop deal or no deal?

-

slimjim

Reaction score
So I recently dropped off my 92' 360 at the machine shop and I was quoted 1661 for the following:
Hot tank
Bore .03
hone
deck
line hone
magnaflux
sonic check
chem dip
crank polished
cam bearing and freeze plugs (removal, parts, and install)
piston rings
ARP Main studs and cap screws
Scat I-beam rods
harmonic balancer
main and rod bearings
balancing

So what does everyone think? Did all of you pay up front for the work or after? This shop is asking for a large deposit (which I'm fine with) but keeps asking for more of the total price. Ill pay for the parts and deposit but I don't want to pay for the rest until I see the finished product. Am I right?

i was into my stock short block for $2600. that was just recondition, flash grinding and polishing my rods. then the general stuff along with a line bore on the mains. I gave him $1500 when i dropped off the block and the balance when i picked it up.

Be sure they install all of your oil galley plugs or at least give them back to you so you can do it if you didn't take them out before you dropped it off.
I would also install a new Distributor drive bushing while your at it.

Yes small deposit or pay for hard parts and balance when he is finished.

2600? dang, Im sure that included the work on the heads and the assembly of the short block right? Well that makes me feel a little better. I forgot to take out the oil galley plugs so ill call the guy Monday morning and ask him to hold them off to the side for me.

no I bought a set of eddy heads that i had assembled by another shop. I got new pistons, pins, rings and bearings and that also included main studs and arp rod bolts. he installed and degreed my cam too. it was a complete short block when i got it back. i had done the tear down and had everything sorted and tagged prior to delivery also. I went thru the block and ground all the flashing and rough cast of the block inside and out.

-
Back