Made a 3/8 pickup

-
Welding it a good idea or would it generate too much heat vs the soldering approach?

I will also be needing to find a screen for the pickup - old screen was in 3 pieces in the bottom of the tank. Anyone know of a part number for either a 3/8" or 1/2" line unit?

In my own opinion silver solder would be the best option with brazing being the second.
Brazing is a lot like soldering, but it takes a bit more heat to braze.
Full on welding I think would make a big mess of it. (plus there's the galvanized coating on the parts to consider)

Silver solder or brazing you would only have to clear a very small area of the galvanizing off the tube and plate it's going through.

What happens to the riveted connection for the sending unit wire. Seems it would melt the isolator when soldering/brazing on to it.
The 3/8 feed 1/4 return units are available already made. Just their resistance scale of the fuel level is not very linear.

That is what I am concerned about. This car has an autometer fuel gage so hopefully it will at least be somewhat accurate

What happens to the riveted connection for the sending unit wire. Seems it would melt the isolator when soldering/brazing on to it.
The 3/8 feed 1/4 return units are available already made. Just their resistance scale of the fuel level is not very linear.

It could depending on what it's made of, but I would personally rather deal with that and have it solid with no leaks.
If a person were to grind the rivet end off and disassemble that first you could put it back together with a machine screw.

I'm sure you know that though Fred. :D

-
Back