Made a mistake ....didn't research enough

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally found a gal who has rebuilt Mopar torsion bar suspensions.
I dropped my 70 Dart at her shop along with everything piece needed to completely rebuild the front end.

I went yesterday to check her progress. The suspension was completely apart. I mentioned that the new 1.03 PST torsion bars, were tricky to get clocked correctly .

I looked around, the info on clocking the bars seems to vary. Especially after PST " changed" clocking in the past, which apparently confused some.

Is there a set of instructions from PST on the clocking procedure.cant seem to find any. Or do any of you have A guide for this ?
I'll be calling PST today to see if they have instructions, none came with the new bars

Last edited:
Finally found a gal who has rebuilt Mopar torsion bar suspensions.
I dropped my 70 Dart at her shop along with everything piece needed to completely rebuild the front end.

I went yesterday to check her progress. The suspension was completely apart. I mentioned that the new 1.03 PST torsion bars, were tricky to get clocked correctly .

I looked around, the info on clocking the bars seems to vary. Especially after PST " changed" clocking in the past, which apparently confused some.

Is there a set of instructions from PST on the clocking procedure.cant seem to find any. Or do any of you have A guide for this ?
I'll be calling PST today to see if they have instructions, none came with the new bars
I contacted peter at bergman on how to do it he explaned it and it was simple and fast

Brooks, it's my understanding that PST offers TWO clock position for those bars, so you need to make SURE which bars you have. I think they offer stock clock position and a lowered clock position. @72bluNblu where are you? Can you confirm this is right or wrong? I thought that's what I read. Hep us out. lol

Good news
Thanks everybody torsion bars went in yesterday
Bad news
need header surgery to clear the torsion bar on pass side on one tube needs to be massaged 1/8
To 3/8 inch to fit

Good news
Thanks everybody torsion bars went in yesterday
Bad news
need header surgery to clear the torsion bar on pass side on one tube needs to be massaged 1/8
To 3/8 inch to fit
What headers?

I called them, I told them the original
Bars were installed with the numbers UP, they advised to do the exact same with the new bars, installed numbers UP. ????

Doug's D453
The original bar provided just enough clearance, the 1.03's , no go
Ok. I tell you what I did on my Summit style headers in my 71 Dart. I didn't actually "dent" any tubes. All I did was pry TWO apart a little on each side. I don't know if yours are bent in such a way as to do that, but it's worth a look.

Ok. I tell you what I did on my Summit style headers in my 71 Dart. I didn't actually "dent" any tubes. All I did was pry TWO apart a little on each side. I don't know if yours are bent in such a way as to do that, but it's worth a look.
Yes, I had also thought about attaching a come along and bending it

This intrigues me. What could possibly be different if the numbers are up, down or sideways? Or for that matter, the bar turned around and shoved into the lower control arm in any clocking position? I just removed some aftermarket approximately 1" in diameter bars from my '72 Dart because they rode like a truck. Installed 2 stock bars, the numbers and L R are at the rear, greased well, but just knocked in. Never even thought about it otherwise. Will give the FSM a quick look. Haven't driven it yet.

I just remembered that I had put fat washers under the drivers motor mount to clear the factory ps box
A manual box just was installed, no need for the washers anymore
I would say that there probably a hundred thousandths in height in washers
May be enuff clearance once the washers are removed?
I'll know Monday morning

Just looked at the FSM, section 2 , page 5, no mention at all about clocking a torsion bar, just left and right.

I couldn't find anything from an authority like FSM, plenty of stuff on Utube, but also plenty of crap.
I've never seen explicit instructions in print
If someone posted a utube vid that went from loosening the lug nuts on a Chrysler torsion bar front end, to finishing a 100 percent complete front end rebuild, it would get a LOT of hits !!

Brooks, it's my understanding that PST offers TWO clock position for those bars, so you need to make SURE which bars you have. I think they offer stock clock position and a lowered clock position. @72bluNblu where are you? Can you confirm this is right or wrong? I thought that's what I read. Hep us out. lol

The PST 1.03’s were originally a “zero offset” bar, ie, they would lay on the floor “flat to flat” and had no hex offset.

Too many people complained that they couldn’t get their cars to factory ride height with that arrangement, which makes sense because 1.03” is only around 230 lb/in. So at ride height the bars still twist a decent amount and you need some hex offset to put the car at a higher ride height.

PST updated the bars, quite a few years ago now, to have more hex offset. I don’t recall the amount used, but much closer to the stock 20° hex offset.

But unless the bars were bought used or have been sitting around awhile they’re likely the new version. PST doesn’t sell the zero offset version anymore, just the updated version as far as I know.
This intrigues me. What could possibly be different if the numbers are up, down or sideways? Or for that matter, the bar turned around and shoved into the lower control arm in any clocking position? I just removed some aftermarket approximately 1" in diameter bars from my '72 Dart because they rode like a truck. Installed 2 stock bars, the numbers and L R are at the rear, greased well, but just knocked in. Never even thought about it otherwise. Will give the FSM a quick look. Haven't driven it yet.

The “numbers up” or sideways or upside down wouldn’t matter, that doesn’t have any effect on the hex offset of the torsion bar. Left and right does, as long as the hex offset is non-zero. Zero offset bars can go on either side, but should be kept on whatever side they’re installed on once they’ve been run in that position.

The second part you’re wrong about. The LCA position DOES matter. The adjusting lever in the LCA, and its position relative to the hex flats in the torsion bar socket on the LCA is what sets your range for the ride height adjustment. The adjusting lever and adjusting bolt only work in a certain range, ie, from where you run out of threads on the bolt on either end. That amounts to your range of ride height adjustment.

If you install the LCA a hex flat off, well, you may find your suspension maxed out in one direction with no ability to either lower the car further or raise the car further. That’s why with larger torsion bars the hex offset is reduced, and on really large bars there’s no offset at all.

Also, if your car “rode like a truck” with 1” bars, there was a different issue. 1” bars are only around 200 lb/in, and still give a very compliant ride if adjusted properly so the suspension isn’t bottoming. I ran them on my Duster for while, and found them so soft I added another 100 lb/in of rate by installing 1.12” bars with a 300 lb/in rate. Still doesn’t ride like any of my trucks, but you need better shocks.
Just looked at the FSM, section 2 , page 5, no mention at all about clocking a torsion bar, just left and right.

Yeah, the torsion bars can’t be clocked. But as I described above, the LCA’s can.

That’s why the FSM instructs you to let the LCA hang all the way down on install. With the factory torsion bars and their hex offset that puts the socket in the right position. Although, with the factory hex offset and stock LCA’s it’s pretty hard to clock the LCA a hex flat off. However, if you run aftermarket bars with a non-factory offset, or use tubular LCA’s which don’t hit the K-member (and will hang straight down) you can’t follow that advice. A zero offset torsion bar typically requires the angle of the LCA to be pretty close to what it is at ride height, because the larger bars that have a zero offset don’t twist very much with the weight of the car.

To me, it's a symmetrical bar, it shouldn't care which way it is installed. Something is different, left one, right one, though they will go physically in either side. Going out for a test drive after I do a camber adj on the passenger side.

To me, it's a symmetrical bar, it shouldn't care which way it is installed. Something is different, left one, right one, though they will go physically in either side. Going out for a test drive after I do a camber adj on the passenger side.

The bars are symmetrical, yes. But as I described above how you clock the LCA on the bar is very important.

The PST 1.03’s were originally a “zero offset” bar, ie, they would lay on the floor “flat to flat” and had no hex offset.

Too many people complained that they couldn’t get their cars to factory ride height with that arrangement, which makes sense because 1.03” is only around 230 lb/in. So at ride height the bars still twist a decent amount and you need some hex offset to put the car at a higher ride height.

PST updated the bars, quite a few years ago now, to have more hex offset. I don’t recall the amount used, but much closer to the stock 20° hex offset.

But unless the bars were bought used or have been sitting around awhile they’re likely the new version. PST doesn’t sell the zero offset version anymore, just the updated version as far as I know.

The “numbers up” or sideways or upside down wouldn’t matter, that doesn’t have any effect on the hex offset of the torsion bar. Left and right does, as long as the hex offset is non-zero. Zero offset bars can go on either side, but should be kept on whatever side they’re installed on once they’ve been run in that position.

The second part you’re wrong about. The LCA position DOES matter. The adjusting lever in the LCA, and its position relative to the hex flats in the torsion bar socket on the LCA is what sets your range for the ride height adjustment. The adjusting lever and adjusting bolt only work in a certain range, ie, from where you run out of threads on the bolt on either end. That amounts to your range of ride height adjustment.

If you install the LCA a hex flat off, well, you may find your suspension maxed out in one direction with no ability to either lower the car further or raise the car further. That’s why with larger torsion bars the hex offset is reduced, and on really large bars there’s no offset at all.

Also, if your car “rode like a truck” with 1” bars, there was a different issue. 1” bars are only around 200 lb/in, and still give a very compliant ride if adjusted properly so the suspension isn’t bottoming. I ran them on my Duster for while, and found them so soft I added another 100 lb/in of rate by installing 1.12” bars with a 300 lb/in rate. Still doesn’t ride like any of my trucks, but you need better shocks.

Yeah, the torsion bars can’t be clocked. But as I described above, the LCA’s can.

That’s why the FSM instructs you to let the LCA hang all the way down on install. With the factory torsion bars and their hex offset that puts the socket in the right position. Although, with the factory hex offset and stock LCA’s it’s pretty hard to clock the LCA a hex flat off. However, if you run aftermarket bars with a non-factory offset, or use tubular LCA’s which don’t hit the K-member (and will hang straight down) you can’t follow that advice. A zero offset torsion bar typically requires the angle of the LCA to be pretty close to what it is at ride height, because the larger bars that have a zero offset don’t twist very much with the weight of the car.
Thanks! I couldn't remember what the deal was. I appreciate you clearing it up.

I have pretty much done everything that you suggested, we were chasing the bullfrog in my front end, this was last year, I think. The car has Bilstein gas shocks.

I'm trying to grasp what you said...
The amount of "twist" available in the bar, would that be the same no matter how the bar is clocked ?

I have pretty much done everything that you suggested, we were chasing the bullfrog in my front end, this was last year, I think. The car has Bilstein gas shocks.

Yep, I recall.

Ride quality is a very subjective topic, a car with 1" bars will ride quite differently than a car with factory bars. But if it truly "rides like a truck" that's a different issue. I drive both classic and newer trucks as well, and while my Duster does not ride like an old muscle car it definitely does not "ride like a truck". Like a new generation muscle car or sports car perhaps, and those are also much stiffer riding than an old muscle car

If I recall correctly your car is closer to factory ride height, so it shouldn't be an issue with hitting the bump stops. But 1" bars are not large enough to lower the car any substantial amount from factory with the factory parts and bump stops. Regardless, 1" bars should not result in a harsh ride by any typical standard. My Duster's ride with 1" bars was closer to "plush" than it was "harsh", and that was with basic blue replacement Monroe's.

I'm trying to grasp what you said...
The amount of "twist" available in the bar, would that be the same no matter how the bar is clocked ?

Yes. The amount the bar itself will twist is just a factor of the weight of the car and the spring rate of the torsion bar.

The only "clocking" from the torsion bar is built into the bar with the amount of offset between the hex ends- be it 20° for a factory torsion bar or say the 7° built into the 1.12" Firm Feel torsion bars I run in my Duster. You can't change that on install.

The only thing that can be done on install is the clocking of the LCA. Depending on your selection of parts and the hex offset of the torsion bars you may have 2 different positions available for the LCA hex socket. But that just determines ride height range that the torsion bar adjuster will cover.

Drove car this afternoon, out to Geneseo, IL, to see Eddie Munster from the TV show. I missed him, to long jacking around with ride height for the stock torsion bars, camber and toe in. The car does ride softer in front with the stock bars, my opinion. It settled on the trip, was hitting the bump stops on some of our bad roads. Will go after it again tomorrow. Did notice one odd thing, that bullfrog came and went with adjusting the camber caster, hummmmm. I don't have gauges, just spit balling it with a level and tape measure. Didn't have time to mess with the struts.

-
Back