magnaflow muffler on slant six?

-

FeatherDuster

I'm getting 25 mpg!
Reaction score
My 76 /6 Duster was straight-piped by the previous owner, who also managed to somehow lose the cat. I love the sound. It sounds like a tractor at low rpm, and like a cross between a pissed-off tractor and a motorcycle at high rpm under load. The exhaust system is sort of redneck, but it works. The p/o told me proudly that he used four different exhaust systems when fabricating the one that is currently on the car.

I work at a Honda dealer, and I recently spied something shiny in the scrap metal dumpster. It was towards the front, so i reached in and grabbed it. It turned out to be a pretty nice Magnaflow muffler, so I jacked it. There's a spot where somebody tried to weld something to it, but other than that it's pretty damn good.

A little bit of research on the internets makes me think that this is the muffler I grabbed: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=9271
The MSRP made me giggle.

I'm thinking that I want to throw it on the Duster, more as a tip than anything else. how much is this going to impact my sound? I can see straight through it, so I'm assuming not much. Anybody else running Magnaflows on their /6?

if i was you i would sell it on the internet for like 150 get some money for it becouse to me it looks a fart canon an your car might sound like a honda rice burner but thats just me its your car do what you whant

1. I dunno how it would look or sound. It might not look "right" on the back of an old mopar.
2. Magnaflow's "suggested retail" on their site is high, to encourage people to look to their other distributors. I bet retail on that muffler would be in the 100-125 range.
3. I agree, sell it. I have a Dynomax welded muffler on my 76 Dart Lite, that gives the car a bit of a 5.0 Mustang sound at idle, and winds up from there. I bought two intending on duals, but the existing piping was rough. I am in KC, and would sell the Dynomax to you for 25 bucks.

PO put one on my slant.

At idle it sounds good but while driving it sounds like a swarm of bees........kinda like my V10 with only the Cat....

It is not annoying to me......just noticeable to others.

A friend of mine had one put on his 4.0 and it sounds crappy.......the series could be different than mine.

I had considered pulling one off my Del Sol and seeing how it would sound.

I held it up to the tailpipe last night, fit right over the existing pipe. Had a buddy sit inside the car and gun it. I think I lost about 5 db at high rpm, but the sound frequency didn't change much if at all.

I can go one of two ways here:

OPTION ONE: throw the magnaflow on. Use a muffler from an Accord or a Odyssey (I work for Honda, remember, and anything in the scrap dumpster is fair game. Also, i'm remarkably stingy), and put that on somewhere in front of the Magnaflow. That would look halfway decent, and be pretty darn quiet. As a teenager, I do occasionally need my car to be quiet. Then get a cutout from Summit, so it can sound badass when I want it to.

OPTION TWO: Leave it as is. Cheap and easy, but some of my female friends complain about the noise.

-
Back