magnum 360 install questions..

-

440SCOUT

Reaction score
i looked through most of the pages and didnt see an answer, so here i am
if this has been answered before i apologize..
i have a 1997 360 that i am installing in a 1970 a-100..
the a100 is a 318 truck so i am planning on using the 727 thats already in it..

the 360 has the edelbrock carbd intake but everything else is stock. i did change the timing cover so i can use the early accessories (i checked the dog house is not wide enough to accept the later serpentine setup)..
so my questions are:
what flexplate to use that will work with the early torque converter and the later balance of the magnum.?
and
on the intake the bypass connector is in the wrong location to connect to the early water pump..
has anyone dealt with this yet??
thanks
doug

the flex plate you should get a weighted one from the dealer or bone yard for a magnum 360. the torque converter should be neutrally balanced. You may need to slot one hole in the flex plate for the tc bolts.

I used a waterpump and a timing cover for the correct year of my dart so I did not have any issues with the bypass hose.

the flex plate you should get a weighted one from the dealer or bone yard for a magnum 360. the torque converter should be neutrally balanced. You may need to slot one hole in the flex plate for the tc bolts.

I used a waterpump and a timing cover for the correct year of my dart so I did not have any issues with the bypass hose.
then what intake did you use....
i have the early (1970) timing cover and water pump, the issue is where the bypass from the edelbrock intake comes out is not the same as my old (non magnum) intake..
thanks

I purchased magnum heads drilled for the la intake. They were the clear water design. but before that I also had the professional product intake and it was on the right side..(I did not like the design) Right now I have the LD48 intake on it.

Here the threads from my install I have pictures of how I sloted the flexplate you you need to look at them. Not sure how the bypass is that much different hope these help

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=48052

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=47770
THANKS!
im not sure yet either, i just know i was conversing with some of the guys in my mopar club and he stated that he was tring to put the earlier water pump setup on a magnum engine and he couldnt get the bypass to work ( it seems ridicolus to me that he couldnt figure something out, so i will have to see when i get to that point)
doug

I purchased magnum heads drilled for the la intake. They were the clear water design. but before that I also had the professional product intake and it was on the right side..(I did not like the design) Right now I have the LD48 intake on it.
that makes more sense..
thanks again

Here are some pictures of my 94 408 Magnum in my 69 Barracuda.
Edelbrock Magnum Airgap intake with 70 up water pump. I think I just used a 74 Duster by-pass hose. If it was not from a Duster, it was a stock mid 70's hose for a Mopar. I'm pretty sure this will work on a pre 70 water pump also, as that is what I had thought about using for a while.

mag_bypass1.jpg

mag_bypass2.jpg

mag_bypass1.jpg

mag_bypass2.jpg

Thanks
that helps a lot!
i assumed with all of the intakes that edelbrock has sold there must have been an easy solution (some people are just too anal i guess)
by the way what trans did you use?
thanks again

I'm using a TCI 904 with a Cheetah manual valve body and deep pan with a Cheetah 2900 stall (or there about), but if it goes I will be getting a better one, but still a 904. Maybe Coan or a Mancini.

As for the bypass hose, just make sure the intake side is big enough to go over whatever pipe is comming out.

-
Back