Magnum 408 w/Stock Lifters & Rockers

-
That’s the photo I put up, Ford rocker and stud with Olds plate

That’s the photo I put up, Ford rocker and stud with Olds plate
Yea, saw it was a Ford rocker, but stud mounted.
Was wondering if anyone had used the Ford pedestal mount. It wouldn't be adjustable, but may be a bolt on? and no guide plate.

Either use the factory Magnum rocker arm setup, or get the Comp Cams guide plates (either #4842 for Olds or #4825 for Magnum Engines) (8) Guide Plates: Dodge Magnum V8 (318/360ci, 5.2/5.9L) (8) Guide Plates: Oldsmobile 350-455ci, For 5/16 the Comp Cam Studs (4542 for Magnum Engines) Magnum Rocker Studs, Olds, Magnum V6, V8, V10; 3/8” Stud Diameter Don’t be concerned with the factory sized 5/16” stud to head diameter. You could enlarge the mounting holes in the heads to fit 3/8” but would be overkill for what you’re doing. Then source any brand 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams even! Test fit with the head gasket you’ll be using, get your pushrod length correct using a checking pushrod. Bolt it up and roll. Moving/enlarging stud mount holes or seemingly reinventing the wheel using other setups is overkill and not needed here. Your geometry and the durability using the Comp Cams parts along with your choice of quality rockers will be just fine. Keep in mind there are hardcore racers here where additional steps, modifications etc are needed, your engine does not need that. The factory parts or the examples given are.

Last edited:
Either use the factory Magnum rocker arm setup, or get the Comp Cams guide plates (either #4842 for Olds or #4825 for Magnum Engines) (8) Guide Plates: Dodge Magnum V8 (318/360ci, 5.2/5.9L) (8) Guide Plates: Oldsmobile 350-455ci, For 5/16 the Comp Cam Studs (4542 for Magnum Engines) Magnum Rocker Studs, Olds, Magnum V6, V8, V10; 3/8” Stud Diameter Don’t be concerned with the factory sized 5/16” stud to head diameter. You could enlarge the mounting holes in the heads to fit 3/8” but would be overkill for what you’re doing. Then source any brand 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams even! Test fit with the head gasket you’ll be using, get your pushrod length correct using a checking pushrod. Bolt it up and roll. Moving/enlarging stud mount holes or seemingly reinventing the wheel using other setups is overkill and not needed here. Your geometry and the durability using the Comp Cams parts along with your choice of quality rockers will be just fine. Keep in mind there are hardcore racers here where additional steps, modifications etc are needed, your engine does not need that. The factory parts or the examples given are.
Well I see they added pieces for the magnum engine, back when I was looking not. Of course that was 16 years ago lol

Well I see they added pieces for the magnum engine, back when I was looking not. Of course that was 16 years ago lol
Me too, I used the pieces listed for Olds on the EQ’s I had right about when the Magnum specific came out iirc. Would be interesting to see if the pushrod slots are in the same position. I’d assume they’re slightly different?

Me too, I used the pieces listed for Olds on the EQ’s I had right about when the Magnum specific came out iirc. Would be interesting to see if the pushrod slots are in the same position. I’d assume they’re slightly different?
The olds plates were just a tad wider on the stud holed

The olds plates were just a tad wider on the stud holed
I’m pretty sure I used those on the EQ’s though, hmmm can’t remember exactly how they lined up but were ok, must have been a case of they’ll work, makes sense that they now offer specific ones though

-
Back