magnum accessories

-

93ragtop

Reaction score
I was wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of converting the magnum accessories, (ps, ac, alt. ) to LA style accessories.
What I am working on is not a a-body. Its a 87 Dakota. But I ask on this forum because it seems there is a lot of knowledge here that would apply to my swap. So thanks for helping me!!
I have seen the hughes snout adapter for the cam, and Im thinking with this, I could use my 3.9 liter accessories off of my truck now. This would allow me to go back to a mech. fuel pump and I think the placement of the accessories would fit under the hood better.
Now length of the motor is a problem. I have to eliminate the mech. fan and sandwich dual electric fans between the condenser and radiator. That is what the factory did in 89 with the Shelby Dakota, in order to make room for the v8. That being said, does anyone know if converting the maganum to LA accessories makes it any longer or shorter?
I plan to run the edelbrock intake with a 670 street advenger carb. (the carb I already have) and probably a standard mopar electronic ignition.
Is it as simple as getting the snout adapter and the 87 accessories bolt up to a magnum engine?
Am I missing something here?
Any input on this project would be appreciated.

Don't quote me on this, but with the fuel pump adapter for the camshaft, then installing the LA style timing cover, waterpump, and crank pulley, you should be able to go to LA accessories.

Since all 3.9 V6s(even the LA version) had the magnum mount setup, the motor should bolt right in and end up about where Shelby had the LA 318 at.
Shelby had to have his fabricators install another crossmember in front of the V6 one to install the 318.

dragbaron, thanks for your reply. I knew the magnum motor would bolt up to my existing v6 mounts. But I have never seen anyone use the v belt accessories, at least in a Dakota. Professional products makes a balancer with the correct weight for a 5.9 magnum and it is designed to use the v belt pulley.
Im going to look closer, but I am really thinking about trying this.

-
Back