magnum and a 727

-

3Darts

Reaction score
does any one know the correct combination. i want to put a 360 magnum up to a 727 but still utilize the oem computer flex plate. i put a injected 360 in a 75 power wagon a few years ago and all worked well but it had an overdrive trans. but for my car i want to just use 727 and run a Manuel trans pcm and a magnum 360 what is the magic torque converter flex plate combo
Thanks

I run a manual trans PCM in my '68, and had it hooked to a 727 for about a year. You will need to use the Magnum flexplate so the crank position sensor will function and the external balancing will be correct. That flex plate will need to have one of the torque converter mounting holes elongated to allow it to bolt up to a neutrally balanced torque converter.

You likely already know you are going to have to make a notch in the bellhousing for the CPS. I used a common door knob hole saw to cut the relief. It works nicely. I put the centering drill bit for it about 1/4" from the edge and then deburred the hole with a carbide bit.

If you do the beer keg intake manifold modification and run Summit headers and an aftermarket oil pan. The stock Magnums run pretty good. If you really want a treat, buy an SCT Tuner and have someone build you a tune. Even the stock motors respond very well to reflashing. My stock motor probably gained 40 hp over stock with a reflash. I have the same PCM in the car with my 408" aluminum headed stroker with a big cam, and all it took was a reflash from a competent tuner with me giving him feedback from my wideband.

Run magnum flex plate and elongate one odd hole. You will need to either get a 360 converter or weld on a balance pad to stock one. Cut out CPS notch in 727 and that should be it.

thank you i have been wanting to do another magnum swap but in a dart this time. 73 dart Manuel trans 93 360

Manuals are different, because of the flywheel to flexplate combination. Maybe Magnummopar can't offer a solution on combining them. They've done lots of conversions, but I have not heard of any manual conversions using the tone ring.

The magnum swap has been done with a manual transmission. They came with 5 speeds in the trucks and Dakotas. But if you want to use a 3 or 4 speed you will need a custom and expensive flywheel. People have talked about stacking the flexplate and flywheel together. Basically just sandwich the auto flexplete between the crank and manual flywheel. I've never seen it done and I'm not sure that it is possible but it might be worth a shot. There is a lot of info about it all on the Dakota forums.

Manuals are different, because of the flywheel to flexplate combination. Maybe Magnummopar can't offer a solution on combining them. They've done lots of conversions, but I have not heard of any manual conversions using the tone ring.

We have done several manual trans magnum swaps, but we use the ax-15 not the factory 4 speed. I have never tried a 4 speed manual swap but assuming magnum flywheel wont fit bellhousing of 4 speed? I will look into it if I have a manual bell laying around. Or if somebody wants to measure their 4 speed flywheel I have a magnum flywheel sitting on shelf.

I would think flexplate behind flywheel might cause clutch engagement problems with manual linkage, but maybe not.

Magnum flywheel measures approx 13.75" if you measure starter ring(largest part). I imagine that an ax-15 bellhousing might be adapted to an 833 if the magnum flywheel is too large.

I will take a closer look tomorrow and see what I can figure out. A 833 flywheel measurement would be helpful....

wow I did not consider the possible flywheel difference. my local wrecking yard haveing an 50% off sale I want to pick up a 97 360 for $ 125 I should still get the engine I could use it on my Ram charger instead of my Dart. I feel but do not know the crank sensor is fixed on automatics so the flywheel could not be much bigger since bell housings bolt and the pattern is not different. there is not different length crank sensors that I am aware of I would buy a custom fly wheel if it made it easy and is available

-
Back