Magnum Cam options

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
This is another one of my posts in attempt to gain knowledge for when/if I need it.

I'm thinking I may have enough cash left over after I finish all the other vital parts of my truck such as brakes, driveshaft,ect to be able to buy a cam and I was wonder what a good cam for my motor would be.

Its a stock 5.2 magnum planned headers, and 600 cfm Quick fuel carb and its going into a 84 D150 4 speed OD. Truck will probably never tow anything bigger than a small lawn mower trailer or possibly my pontoon boat but its light.

I was thinking about the whiplash cam Hughes offers but I know they are pretty much the most expensive.

Thanks again for all the help I wouldn't know half the stuff I do if it wasn't for this forum.

Actually,being a roller,and not needing a big cam,you can send your good core in and get it ground for 100 to 150 bucks.Keep the lift under .512 or so.(valve guides l/retainer clearance)Peak lift on the heads unported is .450 to .490 lift.Most people will try to sell you a crazy lift grind,leads to more money spent.I do recommend buying springs and retainers from Hughes if you do this.Check out Bullitt cams on the regrind,they aree thought of highly here.

Call Hughes or Comp and tell them how you are really going to use the truck.
The stock cam is not all that bad for a truck, it delivers good torque and milage.

Actually,being a roller,and not needing a big cam,you can send your good core in and get it ground for 100 to 150 bucks.Keep the lift under .512 or so.(valve guides l/retainer clearance)Peak lift on the heads unported is .450 to .490 lift.Most people will try to sell you a crazy lift grind,leads to more money spent.I do recommend buying springs and retainers from Hughes if you do this.Check out Bullitt cams on the regrind,they aree thought of highly here.

This was the cam I was thinking about says its for stock everything basically. I know the cam upgrade will give a little over the stock cam but I mostly just want it to sound good having already got 2 stock 318's they sound boring and plain to me lol.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...el2=V2hpcGxhc2ggSHlkLiBSb2xsZXI=&partid=26251

Completly understand.I installed a Crower 224 @ .050,.492 lift,114 lobe cener in a Mag 360.It idles like a 340 cam,@ 21 inches of vac at idle.Here's a kicker for you,send that cam in ,Hughes does regrind cams,with the narrow lobe center.A ton cheaper,stock lobe centers are 109,duration @ .050 about 195/205.Lift roughly,.417 int/exh across the board.

Dammit,Stroker! You could at least posted that Summit roller post again!(LOL! )

One big sumbitch,I like rowdy,lets you know you're alive at a stoplight.

I wish there were more videos on youtube this is the only video i can find of a magnum altho its a 360 running a whiplash cam. Doesntt sound bad I think the mufflers and camera seem to tone it down a bit tho.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLUYqYHDh-A&feature=BFa&list=FL1JyKeGPN7rJeO42bUuo_Uw"]1989 Dakota with Magnum 360, Hughes whiplash cam - YouTube[/ame]

Linky don't work on my Android,sorry.I have seen their cams in action,nice grinds.My moral of the story:what to avoid,and give guidance.If you got the coin,and no smog,that is a outstanding combo.

Linky don't work on my Android,sorry.I have seen their cams in action,nice grinds.My moral of the story:what to avoid,and give guidance.If you got the coin,and no smog,that is a outstanding combo.

No smog for me as I have no vehicle inspections to worry about just headers and some type of muffler haven't made up my mind yet.

-
Back