Magnum exh manifolds questions

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I have some magnum exh. manifold questions before i go on my next junkyard crawl. I tried using the search feature for this and only found manifolds for sale with both big and small bores. Not interested in buying a pulled set for $100 plus shipping. My boneyard said i can have them for $50 if i pull em myself, plus i have a bunch of other stuff i intend to get. I plan to hack off the flanges with a piece of the wye pipe down tube and grab them too.

So heres the deal, I have a 69 barracuda notch i am collecting parts up as a future project w my son. I have a 318 that will get a mild rebuild because its what i have for the car. I have 68 340 manifolds for miy 67, and because of the price of these i am interested in the magnums for his. Headers suck for these cars IMHO, i want something reliable that flows well and wont rust out, and wont leak. Plus I got a local yard here thats got a shitload of ramvans and pickups with these on them. So heres the questions.

1. Car has manual steering. Will these fit with a manual chuck?

2. May eventually go power w a borgeson later on. How well do these fit with a borgeson power chuck?

3. Any outlet issues with torsion bars or center link w these?

4. What are the part numbers of the big bore manifolds? So i know what to look for.

5. I want to narrow my search. Typically what years/models did the big bore ones come on?

6. Are they the same castings from dakota to ram to ramvan, or are they different for each bodystyle.

7. Car will be an automatic. Prob a 42RE or a TH200R4 whichever i can get my hands on. Would prefer a TF A904 if i can get one. No zee bar in the way.

I know its a bunch of questions but i want to make sure they work, and my time is at a premium so i dont want to waste it pulling a whole bunch of manifolds just to get the big bore ones.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Last edited:
In a stick car the divers side dumps right onto the z bar. Auto is supposed to work with manual box. Some have had to grind slightly on the underside to clear the box..

In a stick car the divers side dumps right onto the z bar. Auto is supposed to work with manual box. Some have had to grind slightly on the underside to clear the box..
Car is gonna be a slushbox. I will add to list of questions. However if eventually a stick i can just make it hydraulic clutch and route the hard line on the firewall.

I use a set on a 66 Barracuda last year I know the post with some pics are on here. I just don't know how to find it to copy it here. Anyway I had them milled an 1/8 of an inch on the mating surface to the head both sides. I also cut off the casting on the passenger side that look like it was for an emission hookup but was solid. If you have a 90 degree oil filter adapter you must remove it and use just the regular plate. On the drivers side I had to modify the top part of the flange where the pipe bolts on. It's thick if I remember right I removed approx. 1/2 inch from there just on the side closest to the firewall. I shimmed the motor 1/8 on that side also to clear the steering joint,eventually I replaced the stock joint with a universal joint. I don't think you should have to do as much to the manifold as I did as your car is a bit wider than mine. I also ended up removing about 2 inches from the steering column tube.Mine is a floor shift so that wasn't to bad. I did use manifolds off a 99 5.9 magnum. I hope this helps .

I use a set on a 66 Barracuda last year I know the post with some pics are on here. I just don't know how to find it to copy it here. Anyway I had them milled an 1/8 of an inch on the mating surface to the head both sides. I also cut off the casting on the passenger side that look like it was for an emission hookup but was solid. If you have a 90 degree oil filter adapter you must remove it and use just the regular plate. On the drivers side I had to modify the top part of the flange where the pipe bolts on. It's thick if I remember right I removed approx. 1/2 inch from there just on the side closest to the firewall. I shimmed the motor 1/8 on that side also to clear the steering joint,eventually I replaced the stock joint with a universal joint. I don't think you should have to do as much to the manifold as I did as your car is a bit wider than mine. I also ended up removing about 2 inches from the steering column tube.Mine is a floor shift so that wasn't to bad. I did use manifolds off a 99 5.9 magnum. I hope this helps .

your pics didnt show up in my quote, so here is the thread, exhaust manifolds
pics in post #14

-
Back