Magnum head bolts

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you all replace head bolts when rebuilding a magnum engine? I'm gathering parts to rebuild a 5.9 for my 97 Ram, and all the gasket sets say to replace the bolts. It it necessary on a magnum?
Thanks!

I understand everyone has budget constraints and saving here and there may be a reality but they’re around $25 for one head, there are other less costly, surely of fine quality. That’s pretty cheap for doing things right. I used these ones for some Magnum style EQ’s I had previously. Quality pieces and pocket change (all things considered)

56610450-C4C6-479A-B529-41857C10757F.png

Last edited:
I will reuse head bolts but typically just once. If I'm building a performance motor, high compression, aluminum heads, etc. then I use new. Same goes for main cap bolts. 65'

Do you all replace head bolts when rebuilding a magnum engine? I'm gathering parts to rebuild a 5.9 for my 97 Ram, and all the gasket sets say to replace the bolts. It it necessary on a magnum?
Thanks!

No. They are not TTY bolts. As long as a gorilla didn't over torque them a bunch, they will be good.

You can tell if they’re not good when torquing in stages, if the bolt takes more turn than the others (even slightly) get a new one

Ok, thanks. It is a stock rebuild and the first time it has been apart. I didn't think they were TTY bolts. Just wanted to be sure.

-
Back