magnum heads mistake.

-

caw440

Reaction score
I have an older 360 block with later model magnum heads on it, I wanted to change the cam in the motor , so, I did , what I didn't know was that on the later magnum heads the rockers are oil fed through the push rods, big mistake, wasted all the pushrods , rockers and of course I also now need the correct lifters, so if anyone does not know this , order lifters for the magnum heads or believe it or not , amc lifters, if this is common knowledge to everyone else just ignore , if not use this info and save a pretty big headache.

Just about any lifter is going to have the oil feed hole. Just cross check the part#. You just need hollow pushrods.

yeah I had the hollow push rods, I just used the Mopar Performance lifters that came with the camshaft kit, they don't have the holes. didn't catch it until after the 20 minute break in, more than enough time to do a nice weld job of the pusrods to the rockers , what a bone head move this was.

yeah I had the hollow push rods, I just used the Mopar Performance lifters that came with the camshaft kit, they don't have the holes. didn't catch it until after the 20 minute break in, more than enough time to do a nice weld job of the pusrods to the rockers , what a bone head move this was.
we are all guilty of being a bone head in the past present and future thats how we learn .but a true bone head will do it 2 or 3 times before he figures it out

I'd say that Mopar is probably the only manufacturer on the whole damn planet that makes a .904 lifter without the oiling hole. Everyone else stocks the AMC lifter because it fits both applications.

Yeah you guys are right and thanks for the comments , my wife said it could have been worse, at least I didn't burn down the house. lol

even my speed pro in the generic master rebuild kit had the oil flowing lifters luckily, as I wasn't planned on magnum heads but decided to in the end.

-
Back