Magnum intake manifold gasket?

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the intake manifold gasket fix that Hughes sells? Seeming to have all of the symptoms...
I sure appreciate anybody's experience with this repair....

Yes I have. They have a youtube video they recommend that helped me a lot. The way to tell if it is leaking is to open the butterflies and shine a flashlight inside. If there is a pool of oil toward the rear of the engine then that's the problem.

Installed many. Great kit. You do mean the plenum, correct?

Last edited:
Installed many. Great kit. You do mean the plenum, correct?
Yes thank you. I'm using about a quart of oil every hundred miles lol not one drop on the ground. Oddly enough seemingly no smoke and no lights coming on. I'm getting about 11. 7 miles per gallon which I would think it should get around 14 at least 12 or 13? And it seems like it could have just a little bit more power...

I should say 1998 360 automatic Ram2500 extra cab long bed. It's a big truck for that 360, but it does well.

I bet when you get after it, it pings a bit. Another sure sign the plenum gasket is out.

I bet when you get after it, it pings a bit. Another sure sign the plenum gasket is out.
Yep wife was just saying the other day on the way up the mountain that it was pinging. My hearing's not that good I can't hear some noises...

I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger on this gasket kit this weekend I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get it inI th I sure would like to pull the whole motor and reseal it. Has anybody pulled a magnum out of a bigger truck? It seems like there's quite a crap ton of space down there?

also one good thing is it had a new transmission or a rebuilt transmission six months before I bought it a year ago so it should detach not like Rusty bolts or anyting..

All that oil is going into the cat so fixing the leak will help that expensive little bugger live longer. Your symptoms are typical of a plenum pan leak. Not sure what Hughes has that a new Fel-Pro gasket can't accomplish. My brothers Dakota picked up 2-3 MPG and oil consumption dropped dramatically with a gasket change. Get a new thermostat while you have easy access.

As for pulling the engine. You talk about a pain in the butt. It took me 2 days with a helper to pull the engine with the tranny on it. (next time won't take as long I hope)

-
Back