Magnum, Magnum R/Ts

-

ColeTrickle74

Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding some heads.

1.) Is it a good idea to buy used Magnum or R/T heads?
2.) Where to buy?
3.) Average cost for the used pair?
4.) Same question as the above except the goodies (with rockers, rods, valves etc)

I'd rather not buy new if I didn't have too.
Thanks for looking 8)

Well, I have as yet to see a set of used Magnum R/T heads anywhere, so they might be difficult to find.

Regular Magnums seem to be pretty plentiful. You have to watch these though, because they are rumored to crack between the valve seats.

Looks like there are several companies selling pairs of "refurbished" magnum heads on Ebay for three hundred bucks or so. I'm sure they have stock valves, and you'll have to change the springs to run a camshaft anyway.

Steve

Yes, the factory magnum heads are hit and miss when it comes to good cores.
I have a pair on the porch right now [all cracked between the valves.
The push rod pinch is too tight on these heads and with no ability to sleeve the push rod tubes and open it up.
[instead of drilled holes you can press sleeves into and roll flat] there open on the side. So when assembling make sure that before you put your ford style rockers on that the push rods don't fall over into the valley.[joke]

The RT's make up for all of that, well almost, But none the less the flow is awesome right out of the box pretty nice multi angled valve job into the chamber. Main thing is they don't max out @250cfm like ported stock mag's and don't crack!
New mancini had them for $750 a pair.
Used ? like LX said good luck with the potential of these heads I don't see anyone taking'em off to sell.
Only one problem...
If you want to go 2.02 with these heads and guides prepare to spend $18 a valve,$140 retainers,$29 keepers. QUOTED mancini.only mopar makes them.
So easy fix enlarge guides for long stem 11/32 or what ever stem and valve size you want.
I think that everyone should give these #'s a look as a rough base line of what's what.
http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#Chrysler

Get down to a newsstand and get a copy of the October 2008 Popular Hot rodding. They built up a 318 that cranked off 425 HP with a 9.7-1 compression ratio and Magnum heads. They used an aftermarket Magnum replacement head sold by Enginequest.
Enginequest http://www.aaeq.net
The cool thing is, they sell these heads for use with both the Magnum style intake and regular LA series manifolds!
http://www.aaeq.net/files/file/catalog[1].pdf
No reason this wouldn't also work on a 340 or 360, just have to change the part numbers a little. Stock steet hemi horsepower from a stock stroke 318!
alan627b

Go to Hughesengines.com they have what they call "Iron Ram" Magnum heads. I good price, good flow numbers and I think they come fully assembled.

A similar thread going on over at DT right now. All the dakota guys are po'ed about chrysler ending production of the R/T heads due to crappy castings.

Chrysler has no intention of bringing back the magnum R/T heads at this time.

Chrysler is only interested n the new Hemi. What else is available for small block heads ? Are the commandos available anymore ? What about the LA replacement heads ? They were R/Ts with a LA intake bolt pattern.

If theres no more R/Ts what is Mopar going to use on the Magnum Crate motors ?

I've been looking at the LA replacement ones, but they run kind of expensive. (atleast where i was looking) Seems like I can find a nice pair of aluminum ones for near the same price.

EDIT

I forgot to mention I will be most likely building a 408-414 with a 360 block.
Heres the little list of things I've compiled:

p5007950 LA Replacement Cylinder Heads
p4529220AB Hydraulic Tappets
p5007477 Hydraulic Pushrods
p4452032 Chrome Moly Retainers
p5249464 Valvesprings
p5249878 Intake Valves

It seems I should be able to use the stock magnum exhaust valves, rocker arms, valve locks, and valve seals. Thats what I'd need for the Replacement heads, not 100% sure about what more I'd need if I just used regular magnums. This runs around $1300 bucks from what I've seen online.

All Mopar Perf. heads are on back order according to Summit Racings web site.

Thats good, because I'm driving the **** out of it for the rest of the summer/fall :-D

The problem is usually when a Mopar Perf part goes on back order they usually stay on back order till they cancel the part number.

I would bet the W2s will still be available. I also would be surprised if they release 2 new aluminum heads. 1 LA and 1 Magnum. Which would be reboxed Eddy RPM heads with the Mopar logo.

That is what they did for the new big block head and intake, rebox Eddy stuff. Also Eddy is casting the new aluminum Hemi heads which are only available from Mopar Perf.

What about mancini racing?
Yes w2 would be the BEST CHOICE if you can spend $1000 for the heads and $1000 or so on the rockers then long stem valves, cause they don't sell econos anymore unless used.

-
Back