Magnum Motor Rebuild Questions

-

xlexl

Reaction score
As some of you know my DD is a 94Grand Cherokee. The motor is worn, and exponentially plumiting downhill. Which leaves me trying to figure out the best way to go, i've already got too much time and money investested into this Jeep to start over with something else(everything but the engine,tranny,t-case has been gone through) This will be my first motor rebuild.

First, the Jeep is a 94 Magnum 318. I want to do a ground up while making as many small performance liberties as I can, budget will be 1k-1500 though it will probably be less due to the fact i'll need to pick up a long block off craigslist(250-350) so I can do this without taking my only running vehicle down.

What do you guys suggest as a good course of action? I've done some homework on master rebuild kits, but without a knowledge of reputable brands out there, and the influx of douche-bag companies i'm hesitant. I have no idea what liberties I should take with the machine work or even the cost anymore.

Thanks guys

Find a good short block first.Mine had 100k on it.Pulled the pan,still had a like new crosshatch on the bores.Pulled a main and rod cap each.Looked good.I put a new oil pump and shaft.Added a cam,called it a day.

Find a good short block first.Mine had 100k on it.Pulled the pan,still had a like new crosshatch on the bores.Pulled a main and rod cap each.Looked good.I put a new oil pump and shaft.Added a cam,called it a day.

Going to have to be a long block, my heads need reworked, lot of lifter noise. Also I don't feel comfortable going through all the work to swap in another motor without atleast doing rings and bearings.

I did an impulse buy on a 360 short block that came out of an 8sec n/a R/T Dakota with minimal passes. Balanced, SRP pistons, Eagle rods for a song and a dance(300). After some more homework I am not sure about doing a 360 swap anymore(externally balanced, bigger injectors needed, reprogramed ecm, flex plate ect) all for minimal gain.

Sell that buggar,find a builder you trust.Actually,think regional.Put a post about reputable engine builders in your neck of the woods.Not cheap,but it beats a rod knock on the backroads,man.

If you got that 360 shortblock that cheap you are halfway there. You won't get a long block for twice that price. You should be able to get some rebuilt heads for a 5.9L on exchange basis cheap, then send the old heads off your engine in for the core refund. You should be able to get used parts from junkyard for ECM and injectors. In long run it should be cheaper than a full rebuilt long block. You said that the 360 was balanced, if it was internally balanced then just use your existing 5.2L torque convertor and flywheel. You won't be able to have engine built that cheap.

Ok i've decided against working with the 360, to make the swap worthwhile I would need some heads that breath better than stock, and when push comes to shove its a 4500lb grand cherokee daily driver.

Have a line on another 318 magnum for 150 that I will probably pick up this week. Trying to line the parts up now. Have also decided to forego any performance mods other than cleaning up the heads by hand(i.e. nothing invasive)

Rebuild kit(hard part sizing will have to wait until the motor is in the machine shop to figure out if bore needs punched or if I need over sized bearings.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-MKP6334-000/KitComboContents/

Let me know what you think of if you know of a better company or kit to buy

Question:
Does lifter noise mean that I should buy new lifters or just that the heads need gone through. Are lifters generally something that you would recomend replacing during a rebuild? I'm betting that between the 2 motors, 1 of the cams will be good.

I would find a good use engine a swap it in. I did an engine rebuild, took longer and cost more then I thought it would.

If I put a 360 in, I would use a carb

Nice motor if its all they say it is. Little unerving that a 2k motor isn't even on a $150 engine stand but sitting on a tire lol.

But your right about the core, found one on craigslist for 150 that i'm going to try and pick up this weekend. Considering i've sold off nearly all my vehicles can't afford to have the Jeep down for any longer than it takes to swap another motor into it.

-
Back