Magnum power steering brackets

-

A body Jim

Reaction score
Installing a 360 magnum in my 1969 dart that had a 273. I have 340-360 brackets but now pump is almost touching the K frame and no room to install pressure line to pump.Anyone doing a magnum swap have this issue?

You need to sway to a newer pump style.
Or fab up or modify the brackets.

Are you using Magnum serpentine drive and power steering pump or LA style? If Magnum, what was the power steering bracket out of; Ram/Dakota/Durango, van, or Grand Cherokee?

Also, post a picture like @DionR said.

If running mag stuff use a grand Cherokee power steering bracket and pump. You can get a billet aluminum bracket on eBay for like $30 and then get a pump. Later model pumps from 4.7s will work as well as they are 3 bolt style. This will mount the pump high on the driver side cyl head but you won’t have to change any of your other brackets for pulley alignment as the alt/ac bracket was all the same.

If running mag stuff use a grand Cherokee power steering bracket and pump. You can get a billet aluminum bracket on eBay for like $30 and then get a pump. Later model pumps from 4.7s will work as well as they are 3 bolt style. This will mount the pump high on the driver side cyl head but you won’t have to change any of your other brackets for pulley alignment as the alt/ac bracket was all the same.

Any pics of that set up?

I used a bracket from a van. It sits the pump down low out of the way and clears the a body battery tray.

I can get you some tomorrow. In the meantime I’ll see if I can find some on the internet

I used LA brackets on my magnum to stay with v- belts.

My apologies on taking so long. Here are pics showing how high and tight the Jeep bracket is.

IMG_1478.jpeg

IMG_1479.jpeg

My apologies on taking so long. Here are pics showing how high and tight the Jeep bracket is.

View attachment 1716109261

View attachment 1716109262

I was planning to use the same setup on the Magnum swap I am working on for my '91 Dakota since that pump is that same as the GC. Meant I didn't have to break the pump loose and make a mess.

Unfortunately, the '91 318 serpentine setup uses a narrower belt so I would have to swap the pulley and when I realized I would need to measure for a belt and it would (most likely) be non-standard, I dumped the idea and plan to use a '92+ Dakota pump and mount.

FYI, that pump is the same one the Gen1 and Gen2 Viper used. So, in theory, should be a good pump.

On our 67 Coronet had the same issue with the battery tray and the Pickup truck bracket. Pulled a bracket off a van and worked good. I used the stock van pressure hose, cut the end off and had a JIC fitting installed by a local hose company. Bolts up nice.

I was planning to use the same setup on the Magnum swap I am working on for my '91 Dakota since that pump is that same as the GC. Meant I didn't have to break the pump loose and make a mess.

Unfortunately, the '91 318 serpentine setup uses a narrower belt so I would have to swap the pulley and when I realized I would need to measure for a belt and it would (most likely) be non-standard, I dumped the idea and plan to use a '92+ Dakota pump and mount.

FYI, that pump is the same one the Gen1 and Gen2 Viper used. So, in theory, should be a good pump.
The 92 and up Dakota brackets I have seen in person were the same physical shape and same part number as the full size Ram trucks and will have the same interference with the battery tray in an A-body. Unless, of course, the battery was relocated.

The 92 and up Dakota brackets I have seen in person were the same physical shape and same part number as the full size Ram trucks and will have the same interference with the battery tray in an A-body. Unless, of course, the battery was relocated.

Very true. Yep, same bracket as a Ram and same interference. I’m putting it in my ‘91 Dakota though, not an A-Body. Not very useful to the discussion though, I lost track of what the actual topic of this thread was.

My apologies for the distraction.

Very true. Yep, same bracket as a Ram and same interference. I’m putting it in my ‘91 Dakota though, not an A-Body. Not very useful to the discussion though, I lost track of what the actual topic of this thread was.

My apologies for the distraction.
No apology needed. I was just adding a clarification. I always liked those square body Dakotas too. I am just too tall to drive them.

Installing a 360 magnum in my 1969 dart that had a 273. I have 340-360 brackets but now pump is almost touching the K frame and no room to install pressure line to pump.Anyone doing a magnum swap have this issue?
Do the 273 mounts work?

-
Back