Magnum roller lifters

-

68coupe

Reaction score
I'm confused. I have a 98 5.9 magnum that I was doing a leakdown test on before dropping into a 71 Dart. The biggest problem was that I had 100% leakage on number one cylinder. Took the head off and had carbon under the valve seat so I cleaned the cylinders, lapped the valves and put the heads back on. Checked the cylinders and had between 4-6% leakage on all cylinders, so I installed the lifters, pushrods and rockers. Again I had 100% leakage on number one. I replaced the lifters on that cylinder and still have the problem. I can loosen the rocker arm and the valve will close, so it's not a valve sticking. What am I missing here?

DSCN4267.JPG

Maybe the lifter is stuck full pumped up?

Maybe the lifter is stuck full pumped up?
Well, even fully pumped up shouldn't the valve close? The other lifters in this engine will compress about 1/8" when you push down on the rocker arms. I have two other sets of lifters and when I put any of those in they also will keep the valve open. I have checked the rocker arm and push rod. I can't figure out why some of the lifters will compress and others won't. All of the lifters are from 92-98 Magnum engines.

are all the pushrods the same length? did you replace those 2 lifters with new or used? if the 2 lifters on cylinder 1 are fully pumped up and will not compress, U need to get some oil out of them

are all the pushrods the same length? did you replace those 2 lifters with new or used? if the 2 lifters on cylinder 1 are fully pumped up and will not compress, U need to get some oil out of them
Pushrods are all the same, rockers are the same. I replaced the old lifters with used lifters that have about 60k miles on them.

and so the lifters on cylinder 1 are fully pumped up and do not easily allow the plunger to push down, that is the problem. disassemble them or put them in a vise or whatever to get some oil out

-
Back