Magnum serpentine

-

stupidasso

CA ANRCHY
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'll be ready to trick out my engine bay in the next few months, and was wondering if anyone has ever taken the serpentine system off a 5.9 magnum and put on to an LA 360? From what I know is that they're basicly the same engine with a tighter angle on the valve train.
If so, is it an easy fit, or is there a lot of fab work?

Thanks,
Stu

In order to use the Magnum serpentine accessories, it's necessary to use the Magnum heads, as they are the only heads that have the correct bolt hole placement for the Magnum accessories.
In order to bolt the heads on an LA engine, you'll need custom length hollow pushrods (Magnums oil the valvetrain though the pushrods) and, possibly, AMC lifters, depending on if you use an aftermarket cam with lifters that have the pushrod oiler holes, or not.
Most do, these days.

You'll need everything, the timing cover and all.
If you do this, there are a couple intakes on the market to convert from the tall "kegger" intake to a more conventional intake, or you can drill and tap the heads for an aftermarket (or stock) LA style intake.

It's not really a cheap conversion.

IMHO, you should just buy a Magnum 318 or 360 and get it over with.
Oftentimes you can buy an old '92-'95 or so van for not a lot of $$ and have the whole conversion.

Mark.

Thanks Mark,
Just looking to do something trick.
Looks like it would be too trick for my pocket book.

thanks again,
Stu

When I did the magnum head swap onto my LA engine I had heard the accessory holes were in different places. With an LA head and magnun head next to each other on my bench and measuring with a straight edge I could not measure any diffference in the locations of the accessory mounts on the heads. My LA accessories bolted right up to the magnum heads with no modifications. Also, several buddies of mine have purchased 360 magnum crate motors and had no issues bolting up LA accessories.

So, no need to change the heads.

You will need to swap the timing cover and water pump plus get a magnum fan since the serpentine system turns the water pump in the opposite direction. Since the magnum cover has no provisions for a fuel pump you will need to use an electric pump.

Ditto... did just that with my '85 Fifth Ave, although not a A-Body... but close....
I did run the new style Power steering pump, just because it was easier to keep the existing pulley than to pull the pulley off the original v-belt pump and swap it with a serp. pulley....

LOL, guys.
The LA pieces will bolt to the Magnum heads, sure, but the Magnum pieces will not bolt to the LA heads.

Trust me, I tried it.

318 Magnums are cheap, if I see any need for a 318, it won't be an older one, it's pointless.

Mark.

If the bolt holes are all in the same place why won't the brackets fit?

-
Back