magnum starter on my LA

-

dodgethis12

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im trying to get the car started and its been sitting. I splashed a little gas in the carb, threw in a fresh battery and hit the key to see if it would at least run or fire for a couple secs on the gas. No GO!

It seems to me like the started is not turning the engine over fast enough? I know the battery is good as it is the one from my 98 truck that I drive every day.

I have a good starter from a 99 Ram 318 sitting on the shelf which is modern small design and they seem to have alot of spunk compared to the old units.... is this a simple bolt on in place of my original starter? (70 318 and 904).

Thanks

Yes it is but you may need to remove the extra battery cable extension that is mounted to the starter.

The Nippondenso mini starters are better than the Chrysler units in every possible way: Lighter, stronger, faster, draw less current, longer-lived. They just don't sound right on an old Mopar, is their only problem. On the rare occasion they fail to crank, better than 99 times out of a hundred it's fixed by replacing the solenoid contacts, which is an easy benchtop job. Your '99 starter will work just fine.

Sometimes the original hookup locations are inconvenient. There are multiple different connectors available, though, to solve that issue. See here for connection options.

See here for solenoid contact info.[/QUOTE]

-
Back