Magnum Swap Balancer/timing Cover interference

-

Jengel451

Reaction score
Did a search, found that others have had this issue, but no resolutions posted. Nothing on the magnum swap page etc. even did the full google search. Every thread I found went completely off topic within 2 posts.

5.9 Magnum using EQ LA timing cover. I have the stock Magnum early 2 pc balancer without the integrated serpentine pulley. it definitely will not go on without hitting the timing marks.

I looked at my son's early 318 and it looks as though the Magnum balancer is 1/4" thicker than his. Without pulling his off, it looks like it's not offset as far back as the magnum either?

Anyone that has run into this, would a pro product or BluePrint balancer resolve my issue?

The problem could be the replacement LA timing cover. I have used a couple different 5.9 Magnum balancers like yours on different factory LA timing covers that came off of core engines and never had one touch the timing marks yet. If it is your timing cover, a different balancer may not help.
Try taking measurements to see how much more the balancer needs to go on to be fully seated. If it's a very small amount maybe around .060" you could just trim the timing marks on the cover with a grinder to gain clearance and should not go through and cause a hole.

did a side by side with my son's 88 Ramcharger with a 360. The timing cover isn't the issue, same dimension measuring from the block, both the water pump mounting surface and the timing marks. it's one of 2 things I think. either the crank snout is shorter on the magnum, or the balancer is offset in. I may have to pull the magnum timing cover back off, mount up the balancer and do some measuring. Someone took away my easy button.

The magnum balancer is 1.25" thick, which may be the issue since the LA's are only 1"

Cool that you were able to compare the timing cover with another one.
Can you lay your Magnum balancer down with the pulley attachment front face down, then measure from tip of the snout down to the inner face of the outer ring where the timing marks are? This would need to be compared to an LA balancer to see if they are different by enough to cause this.

I only have an early LA 318 to put side by side, there is about 1/8" difference, the 318 offering more clearance. Not sure if that's the make or break until later tonight. I'll pull the timing cover, mount up the magnum balancer and see what's what.

Side note, I called BluePrint to get dimensions of their balancer, they did mention that they have run into this issue before, it's a crap shoot. They will replace the timing cover with the same brand and it works. seems odd but something I need to think about. Worst case is if it's just a smidge, i'll just take off some aluminum off the timing tab to get the clearance I need, there should be enough meat in the cover for that. All theory mind you.

-
Back