Magnum Swap column vs. console shift

-

robcuda

Reaction score
Hello Gentleman,
I am planning a magnum swap efi including 46re trans from donor and want to know what I am up against regarding the shift location. I have a 64 cuda with console shift but most donor vehicles I come across are column shift. Is it a complicated process to modify a column shift trans from donor to function as console shift? Thanks in advance for any advice! Rob

The shifter will probably be the least of your headaches as far as the transmission goes. You can mount a Hurst or B&M ratchet shifter in the console, and it will look almost stock if you choose the right one. The worst part is going to be getting the 46RE to clear the transmission/torsion bar cross member. The OD part of the transmission is bigger then the hole it needs to occupy, so some fab work will be needed. You will also have to beat the pinch weld in the transmission tunnel flat so it will clear the bellhousing part of the transmission. You can make it work, with perseverance and imagination....so don't give up!

The shifter will probably be the least of your headaches as far as the transmission goes. You can mount a Hurst or B&M ratchet shifter in the console, and it will look almost stock if you choose the right one. The worst part is going to be getting the 46RE to clear the transmission/torsion bar cross member. The OD part of the transmission is bigger then the hole it needs to occupy, so some fab work will be needed. You will also have to beat the pinch weld in the transmission tunnel flat so it will clear the bellhousing part of the transmission. You can make it work, with perseverance and imagination....so don't give up!

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, I know I am up against some fabrication but feel it's worth it for the modern trans and OD. So you don't think I can keep the stock look of the long chrome console? I know it would be higher up for sure.

Yeah, the console should be fine. I forget who it was on here, but they installed a ratchet shifter in the stock location after removing the factory shifter. It looked so stock, that I'll bet it fools most people. There are pics on this site somewhere, so maybe someone will remember and post them.. or a link to the thread. A Magnum motor and OD trans will be a nice upgrade!

Yeah, the console should be fine. I forget who it was on here, but they installed a ratchet shifter in the stock location after removing the factory shifter. It looked so stock, that I'll bet it fools most people. There are pics on this site somewhere, so maybe someone will remember and post them.. or a link to the thread. A Magnum motor and OD trans will be a nice upgrade!

So thankful for the advice! Good to know I might be able to retain that "old school" look with the modern trans. If anyone has a pic of a console shift with a magnum swap it would be appreciated or any tips on linkage or parts needed.

The 46rh and 46re are basically a 727 with overdrive on the tailshaft. Swap over the shift lever from your 727 onto the OD trans should be all you need to do. Also the trans cooler lines are bigger than the old stuff, 3/8 IIRC

The 46rh and 46re are basically a 727 with overdrive on the tailshaft. Swap over the shift lever from your 727 onto the OD trans should be all you need to do. Also the trans cooler lines are bigger than the old stuff, 3/8 IIRC
Thank you for the info! Very helpful.

You can google some 46rh swaps and it details what was cut and how to change the rear mount of the trans. I think someone was making a cross member at one time. Might be a little tighter in a 64 A body but well worth it when its done.

You can google some 46rh swaps and it details what was cut and how to change the rear mount of the trans. I think someone was making a cross member at one time. Might be a little tighter in a 64 A body but well worth it when its done.
Can you tell me a little about the Rear Mount you are referring to? Are you referring to fabricating a new mount or changing out a part? I do realize I will have to shorten the drive shaft.

Here is a link to putting an 46RH in an Ebody, looks like this cross member was fabbed. I thought I saw some where someone making the crossmember but it may have been the one in this link, it sure looks nice.

727 to A518 swap – a novice guide

64? should be a 904. Is it a cable setup with the center console? just like the push button shift. Mopar Push-button transmission tech tips
If so all you'll need to do is fab up a different cable. Or modify the cable end. the 904 with cable shift is internal in the trans unlike the 46RE
I would be surprised if you had a 727 in a 64 unless it was already a swap. In order to fit the 727 you would have to fold the pinch weld where the trans tunnel meets the fire wall. In order to fit the 46re you need to do alot of massaging of the tunnel and some chop / cut -n-weld for the overdrive unit... lol fun fun...
I have a 65 and I'm doing the same 46RE. I'm using the center console shiftier that's a cable shift.
If you scroll down page 4 you'll see what i'm working with...
1965 Barracuda MMP

Hope this helps... If you need any more info on this hit me up.
Good luck with the build...

64? should be a 904. Is it a cable setup with the center console? just like the push button shift. Mopar Push-button transmission tech tips
If so all you'll need to do is fab up a different cable. Or modify the cable end. the 904 with cable shift is internal in the trans unlike the 46RE
I would be surprised if you had a 727 in a 64 unless it was already a swap. In order to fit the 727 you would have to fold the pinch weld where the trans tunnel meets the fire wall. In order to fit the 46re you need to do alot of massaging of the tunnel and some chop / cut -n-weld for the overdrive unit... lol fun fun...
I have a 65 and I'm doing the same 46RE. I'm using the center console shiftier that's a cable shift.
If you scroll down page 4 you'll see what i'm working with...
1965 Barracuda MMP

Hope this helps... If you need any more info on this hit me up.
Good luck with the build...
Thank you so much for the input. Very excited, just found a donor vehicle (97 Van, 360 magnum, 46re)!

I've been offline for a few days but was happy to get some tips. The guy I bought cuda from told me it was a 727 but you may be correct that it is a 904 (lesson: assume nothing).

I do have the overdrive mount from the donor and I'm hoping I can modify this and it will give me a head start. Fitting this 46re should be interesting but crossing fingers that it's worth it.

I'm really impressed with your build, custom intake and efi, very ambitious and fun! I'm going to study your posts.

I'm also curious as to what alternator your going to use. I'm hoping to use the stock alternator that's already with my magnum donor.

Thanks for the offer for assistance I may take you up on it. Cheers,
Rob

-
Back