Magnum Swap: Gauges and sensors

-

68coupe

Reaction score
Background: I'm installing a 2001 5.2 Ram engine in a 68 Barracuda, keeping the original 904 trans. I'm using the Ram computer (PCM) and fuse panel/power distribution center (PDC). I'm keeping the original dash cluster with the analog gauges. The ignition switch has been completely rewired with the voltage supply coming from the PDC. I no longer have the underdash megasplice, fusible link or ammeter. Headlights, tail and brake lights are wired through the PDC. Instrument lights, heater fan, radio, wipers, etc are wired through the original fuse panel.

Looks like I need to keep the original temp and oil pressure sending units for the original gauges. I plan on converting the ammeter to a voltage gauge by replacing the movement.

I wanted to see where everybody else mounted the original sending units.

Also, do I need to install a battery temp sensor? What has everybody done about the speed sensor if using the original trans?

Background: I'm installing a 2001 5.2 Ram engine in a 68 Barracuda, keeping the original 904 trans. I'm using the Ram computer (PCM) and fuse panel/power distribution center (PDC). I'm keeping the original dash cluster with the analog gauges. The ignition switch has been completely rewired with the voltage supply coming from the PDC. I no longer have the underdash megasplice, fusible link or ammeter. Headlights, tail and brake lights are wired through the PDC. Instrument lights, heater fan, radio, wipers, etc are wired through the original fuse panel.

Looks like I need to keep the original temp and oil pressure sending units for the original gauges. I plan on converting the ammeter to a voltage gauge by replacing the movement.

I wanted to see where everybody else mounted the original sending units.

Also, do I need to install a battery temp sensor? What has everybody done about the speed sensor if using the original trans?

I forget what I did with the oil pressure unit..I've got to go look when I get home... so I looked and I added a wire to the magnum oil pressure sender to trigger the dummy light on the old dash
For the temp sender, I just used the hole in the radiator top drivers side that was previously used for the advance temp delay thing.
I did install a battery temp sensor because it was still on my donor harness. I just drilled a big hole in the battery tray. I think someone reported that they're battery wouldn't charge without it. I never tried...
The PCM will set a code about the speed sensor and keep the RE transmissions from shifting...but since you're using the 904 the pcm doesn't control the trans so you should be fine.

For the temp sender in my engine, I drilled a hole in the intake next to the factory temp sender and tapped it for 1/8 pipe thread. For the speed sensor use one from a 88-90 Dodge pickup truck, it still has a mechanical speedometer, but the old tbi unit needed a speed sense. I had a stalling at stop sign and general drivability issue with mine until I installed a speed sensor. The sensor threads onto the trans and has a cable output, but the output cable size is smaller thread than the original, so you have to adapt a dodge truck cable as well. Also make sure you tie in the original neutral safety switch into the pcm, at one point before the speed sensor my pcm was confused because when I was cruising it thought I was revving the engine in neutral. Mine is an obd1 swap, but I think all of that still is true for yours. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• 101_4708.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 287
-
Back