Magnum Swap with Factory Fuel Injection

-

urchinhead

San Francisco, CA
Reaction score
I'm looking into swapping a Dodge Ram 5.9L and nv4500 transmission into my Jeep, but I haven't found any good information on the swap.

Has anyone put a Magnum motor in their Dart and kept the factory fuel-injection? My only major concern is the computer, as I know they monitor several functions including brakes and air bags. Does anyone have experience with the factory or Mopar performance computers?

I have read that some people have had significant stalling issues with the Chrysler MPIs.

I'm looking into swapping a Dodge Ram 5.9L and nv4500 transmission into my Jeep, but I haven't found any good information on the swap.

Has anyone put a Magnum motor in their Dart and kept the factory fuel-injection? My only major concern is the computer, as I know they monitor several functions including brakes and air bags. Does anyone have experience with the factory or Mopar performance computers?

I have read that some people have had significant stalling issues with the Chrysler MPIs.

Much of this is theory only, I have not swapped personally, but I have spend a great amount of time into a Magnum swap on my 97 Ram (stock 5.2 died).
The biggest obstacle I see is the computer trying to interface with gauges in dash, and Check Engine Light, as you said.
If I was swapping this setup, I would get EVERYTHING from donor vehicle, and swap in, but use aftermarket gauges. I would have an LED light in dash for "check engine", but I would presume that it might be on all the time, due to oxygen sensors, etc.

There are places / people out there that will custom reflash the computer, they might have the ability to delete the air bags, 2nd oxygen sensor, etc.

Keep in mind the fuel system, it can compound and complicate things. Lines, fittings, and pump can add up..

BTW, I like the idea personally.
I would love to see a 5.9, with ported or aftermarket heads, a mild cam, throttle body and intake upgrade, and good exhaust.

The EFI would keep it streetable, and efficient, with power.

Mopar Action Magazine did a series of articles on this. Mopar Performance came out with a conversion kit to drop the EFI Magnum into an older car. I think Ehrinburg got close to 400 HP with it in a mid 60's B body. It was plug and play.

I swap a 3.9 magnum in my 66 dart wagon and use all eng harness out of the Dakota and wire it in to my old wagon harness all gauges work you have to change amp meter to a volt meter. I have done two of these conversion.

From what I've been reading, some people have just deleted uneccessary wiring, while others have shorted/spliced some of the computer pins together to trick the computer into reading that all systems are operating correctly.

I plan to use the computer from the same engine, unless someone recommends something different. Is the Mopar performance conversion kit still available?

-
Back